Finder comments and tags

Support for macOS users
vasuvasu

Finder comments and tags

Post by vasuvasu »

Is there a way to have FileBot preserve tags and comments that are added in a Get Info window for a file? Whenever I run a file through FileBot, it strips the Finder Tags and Spotlight Comments out :(
rednoah
The Source

Re: Finder comments and tags

Post by rednoah »

How does Finder store tags and comments on disk?

What file system operation are you using? Move? Copy?

:idea: FileBot neither preserves nor strips Finder tags explicitly. FileBot does whatever macOS file system operations do by default.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
vasuvasu

Re: Finder comments and tags

Post by vasuvasu »

rednoah wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 03:11 How does Finder store tags and comments on disk?

What file system operation are you using? Move? Copy?

:idea: FileBot neither preserves nor strips Finder tags explicitly. FileBot does whatever macOS file system operations do by default.
ok nevermind.. tested some more and this looks like expected behavior. Tags do seem to come along for the ride, though there appeared to be some lag on my end when I moved 200 files at once and Finder was playing catch up.

File comments in classic macOS were stored within the file, but in osx are stored in the containing folder's .DS_Store file. When a move operation happens in the Finder, comments are copied over to the new location's .DS_Store, but when mv is used, they don't get moved over.