renaming a movie name that is prefixed with ellipses

Support for macOS users
cheaters

renaming a movie name that is prefixed with ellipses

Post by cheaters »

I am trying to process a movie that has ellipses at the beginning of its name and Apple Finder is treating the file as a dot file or invisible file.

It's probably a very rare situation but maybe should be hardcoded for MacOS?

…And Justice for All (1979)

In system.properties I had set

Code: Select all

unixfs=true
Flipping that switch on and off (commenting out that line) didn't change the way the file was renamed when pulling info TVDB.
rednoah
The Source

Re: renaming a movie name that is prefixed with ellipses

Post by rednoah »

There's a difference between ... (3 dots) and … (1 ellipsis) but since both . and … are perfectly valid in Windows file names the -unixfx switch is expected to have no effect.

:idea: Presumably, the movie name has been entered into the database using ... (3 dots) and not … (1 ellipsis) but you can of course fix that up as desired via the format:

n.replace('...', '…')

:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

The -unixfx switch is for Windows users only then? Sorry, I tried to do a search for that term and get zero results.

You guessed correctly TVDB had it as three periods and not an ellipses. I changed the title on TVDB to use an ellipses.

:?: Now how do I get FileBot to stop using the cached version of the movie name from TVDB? Using the Shift key doesn't seem to fetch the new name
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot will make file names Windows-compatible by default on all platforms. The -unixfs switch can be used to disable this behaviour. As such, specifying -unixfs on Windows makes no sense because Windows file system operations will not accept Windows-incompatible file names.

You can try clearing the cache:
viewtopic.php?t=1996
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

I don't really care about Windows-compatible file names I need Unix-compatible filenames. I am a bit insulted that Windows gets preferential treatment :lol:

But since this terminology hasn't been well defined I have no idea what it really does and without that information can't really make proper choices. I guess I will add unixfs=true back inside system.properties. Again, having no clue what it really affects since I am still getting incompatible characters in my filenames.

Instead of re-hashing this on a case by case basis why not hardcode the GUI depending on the OS.

There is a character that will substitute for a colon on Unix or Windows. When FileBot validates a file why not just replace the colon that is found with this character - hardcoded?
I found a very similar character to a colon, "꞉" it is a unicode character called a Modifier Letter Colon. This has no space like the fullwidth colon and is pretty much exactly the same as a regular colon but the symbol works. You can either copy and paste it from above or you can use the code point, U+A789
Link

:?: Can we use code points instead of characters in FileBot renaming?
kim
Power User

Post by kim »

not everyone wants it like you...

{n.colon(' - ')}
.. BUT I cant see why not to have option to convert a invalid character with system.properties "look alike"

btw:

{':'.replace(':','\uA789')}

{':abc'.replace(':','\u02D0')}
https://www.w3schools.com/charsets/ref_ ... ifiers.asp

{'abc-abc'.replace('-','\u2012')}
https://www.w3schools.com/charsets/ref_ ... uation.asp
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

jprokos wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 17:30 I don't really care about Windows-compatible file names I need Unix-compatible filenames. I am a bit insulted that Windows gets preferential treatment :lol:
Any sequence of characters is Unix-compatible. There is no such thing as a Unix-incompatible file path.

jprokos wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 17:30 I am still getting incompatible characters in my filenames.
That just proofs that it's not an incompatible character in the first place. The . dot character is entirely legal as far as the operating system and file system are concerned.

jprokos wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 17:30 Instead of re-hashing this on a case by case basis why not hardcode the GUI depending on the OS.
We want consistent behaviour on all operating systems. Additionally, running FileBot on a Linux machine (e.g. NAS) and then accessing the files from a Windows machine via SMB is an extremely common use case.

jprokos wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 17:30 There is a character that will substitute for a colon on Unix or Windows. When FileBot validates a file why not just replace the colon that is found with this character - hardcoded?
Replacing . : / ? etc with similar looking Unicode code points is generally a bad idea. Perhaps it'll work well for you and your specific requirements though.

e.g. replace : with ∶ in your custom format:

n.replace(':','∶')
:idea: https://unicode-table.com/en/2236/

:arrow: If this is the path you choose for yourself, please create a new thread so that we can collect all the character mappings and format code in one place, so others can easily copy and paste your solution if desired.