macOS Question

Support for macOS users
M3Element

macOS Question

Post by M3Element »

I have FileBot Version 4.9.3 (8340) purchased from the Apple App Store. I am having an issue where whenever I click on "edit format" under "Match & Fetch Data" the app will freeze up and look for a network drive. After a minute it will say "There was a problem connecting to the server “QNAP” (which is a network drive). There is something saved within my Filebot where it is trying to access that drive. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled but whenever I click "edit format" it does it every time.
rednoah
The Source

Re: macOS Question

Post by rednoah »

You have likely clicked Change Sample File and then selected a file on a network share which is no longer accessible. Ideally, it should just fail instantly, but macOS does what macOS does.

You can probably resolve the issue like so:
1. Disconnect from the local network so that macOS fails immediately instead of trying to connect to your NAS to make your remote sample file available
2. Click Edit Format -> Change Sample File and select a local file on your local hard drive
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
M3Element

Post by M3Element »

rednoah wrote: 11 May 2021, 02:35 You have likely clicked Change Sample File and then selected a file on a network share which is no longer accessible. Ideally, it should just fail instantly, but macOS does what macOS does.

You can probably resolve the issue like so:
1. Disconnect from the local network so that macOS fails immediately instead of trying to connect to your NAS to make your remote sample file available
2. Click Edit Format -> Change Sample File and select a local file on your local hard drive
Thank you very much. That seems to have fixed my problem except now I have another question. Whenever I click "Rename" it will pin wheel and stall for about a minute and say Folder Permissions required. I then have to drag the folder into the window and it says "The permissions for this folder will be remembered and FileBot will not need to ask for it again" but I have to re-give permission every time I use FileBot. Is there a way to remember the permission or is this another one of those macOS does what macOS does scenarios?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

M3Element wrote: 13 May 2021, 13:38 Thank you very much. That seems to have fixed my problem except now I have another question. Whenever I click "Rename" it will pin wheel and stall for about a minute and say Folder Permissions required. I then have to drag the folder into the window and it says "The permissions for this folder will be remembered and FileBot will not need to ask for it again" but I have to re-give permission every time I use FileBot. Is there a way to remember the permission or is this another one of those macOS does what macOS does scenarios?
FileBot uses security scoped bookmarks so it should be able to restore permissions without user-interaction. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing why it doesn't work for you. You could try different random things, to see what works and what doesn't work. That might give us a clue.

:idea: I can at least confirm that it fundamentally works. Install via MAS, drop in a few files from ~/Downloads, do the "drop it to unlock it", rename files, restart FileBot, rename files again, no permissions dialog this time around.
M3Element

Post by M3Element »

It works as intended as you described when working within my computer. The issue arises when renaming files that are located on a NAS. Once I click "rename" there is a wait (30 seconds exactly) and it will say "There was a problem connecting to the server" and as soon as I click "OK" it will then ask permissions where I drag and drop. I have to repeat this process every time I use FileBot.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sorry, that would be a macOS internal issue. FileBot itself does not and cannot differentiate between local files and remote files, because the OS is responsible for making different file systems appear and work exactly the same.

EDIT:

You could try different things though. Connect to your NAS via IP instead of HOST, or vice versa. Connect as AFP share instead of SMB, or vice versa. Try with a different NAS software / manufacturer if you happen to have more than one. Google "macOS QNAP There was a problem connecting to the server" and check the first few results.