Purchased in App Store years ago; same account, licensing issues (IllegalStateException: Receipt Hash: IOMACAddress)

Support for macOS users
jplunkett85

Purchased in App Store years ago; same account, licensing issues (IllegalStateException: Receipt Hash: IOMACAddress)

Post by jplunkett85 »

Hi FB team:

I've been a huge supporter for many years. I paid the $20 roughly 4 years ago to have FileBot on my Macbook computer. Now that I'm logged into a MacOS desktop, I am able to successfully download FileBot, but the license does not activate.

I reviewed my e-mails, but I received no licensing information from paddle or filebot dot net. Below are the order details.

Can you help me reactivate my FileBot license?

Thank you!

App Store
INVOICE DATE 01 May 2017
SEQUENCE NO. 1-1128557159
ORDER ID MNG4TLTSZ1
DOCUMENT NO. 178160341043
rednoah
The Source

Re: Purchased in App Store years ago; same account, licensing issues

Post by rednoah »

:arrow: Please uninstall all versions and editions of FileBot that you may have installed, and then only install FileBot via the Mac App Store:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/filebot/id905384638

:idea: If you have purchased FileBot via the Mac App Store, then you must install FileBot via the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID. In this case, there is no independent license key, Paddle purchase order number, email confirmation, etc. It's all in the Apple blackbox.

:idea: If you download the PKG installer and install FileBot manually, then you're using the independent edition which requires a independent license key purchased via the website, as opposed to the Mac App Store / Microsoft Store edition purchased via the Mac App Store / Microsoft Store and linked to your Apple ID / Microsoft ID:
viewtopic.php?t=6265
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
jplunkett85

Post by jplunkett85 »

Hi rednoah, thanks for the quick response. I tried as you said, however, I am greeted with the same prompt to activate.

Can you help me understand if I bought this in Europe while studying there AND NOW I’m using the US App Store, could that result in this licensing issue?

Thank you!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

jplunkett85 wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 00:46 I am greeted with the same prompt to activate.
If you see this prompt, then you are almost certainly not using the Mac App Store edition:

:arrow: Please uninstall all versions and editions of FileBot that you may have installed, and then exclusively install FileBot via the Mac App Store, as to avoid having multiple editions installed and accidentally running the wrong one.

:idea: You can press F5 to view system information. It'll say Package: MAS if you are using the Mac App Store edition.

:!: I don't know what happens if you switch Mac App Store locale. Your purchases might be linked to a specific App Store locale, or not. I don't know how the Apple blackbox works internally, you'll have to talk to Apple Support to confirm one way or another. What exactly does the prompt you see look like? Does it say UNREGISTERED or something else?
jplunkett85

Post by jplunkett85 »

Hi rednoah, I apologize. You were right. I deleted those installations and reverted to downloading from the App Store. (See attached screenshots).

Unfortunately, the app crashes immediately. I tried a number of commands in the Terminal to initiate the application under administrative group, but I failed to initialize. Any feedback here is greatly appreciated.

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

What does the error log say?

:idea: You will find the error log here:

Code: Select all

$HOME/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot/Data/Library/Application Support/User Data

jplunkett85 wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 01:44 I tried a number of commands in the Terminal to initiate the application under administrative group, but I failed to initialize.
What exactly did you run? What did the console output say in response?
jplunkett85

Post by jplunkett85 »

Hi rednoah, it is this message over and over again:

Nov 10, 2021 5:58:54 PM net.filebot.Main main
SEVERE: An unexpected error occurred during startup: IOMACAddress
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Receipt Hash: IOMACAddress
	at net.filebot.platform.mac.MASReceipt.verifyHash(Unknown Source)
	at net.filebot.platform.mac.MASReceipt.check(Unknown Source)
	at net.filebot.Main.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: IOMACAddress
	at net.filebot.platform.mac.MASReceipt.getGUID(Unknown Source)
	... 3 more
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

That is very unusual. That error message would indicate that you don't have a primary network interface, which doesn't make sense. Are you running macOS on some kind of unusual hardware? Hackintosh? You might be able to make it work by playing with your network settings, e.g. try disabling / not disabling network interfaces.

EDIT:

A search for "IOMACAddress" reveals that there are other users running into the same issue, but unfortunately, there are no confirmed solutions:
* viewtopic.php?t=12388
* viewtopic.php?t=12066
rednoah
The Source

Re: Purchased in App Store years ago; same account, licensing issues (IllegalStateException: Receipt Hash: IOMACAddress

Post by rednoah »

You can use ioreg -l > ioreg.txt to save your device tree to a text file so you can check it:

ioreg -l > ioreg.txt

:idea: There should be one network interface where "IOPrimaryInterface" = Yes and that would typically be en0 on normal hardware:

ioreg -l | grep IOPrimaryInterface