Search Including Directory Name

Support for macOS users
jasonwoerner

Search Including Directory Name

Post by jasonwoerner »

When I do lookups on a file for renaming purposes, the parent folder (or at least one word from it) is included in the search, which makes the results more difficult to parse through to find the appropriate match. In some cases it makes the results worthless. I'm including a screenshot that demonstrates this. Here, you can see the match for the term "Workshop" appearing second. I'm confused as to why the directory name is relevant at all.

In my case, the parent folder is named "Plex Workshop". All of my searches on files in this directory also include the word "workshop" in the search terms.
https://snipboard.io/S8xm5U.jpg
rednoah
The Source

Re: Search Including Directory Name

Post by rednoah »

The low-effort solution you can apply right now is to just rename "Plex Workshop" to something that doesn't happen to include a movie name, ideally something like "Plex" or "Todo" or "Staging" etc. In the meanwhile, I'll add "Plex Workshop" to the list for upcoming revisions.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
jasonwoerner

Post by jasonwoerner »

Thanks for the response. However, I remain curious why the directory name is relevant at all. Why is it included as a search term for the renaming of a file within it? Shouldn't the file's name contain the only relevant search terms?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

jasonwoerner wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 15:31 Thanks for the response. However, I remain curious why the directory name is relevant at all. Why is it included as a search term for the renaming of a file within it? Shouldn't the file's name contain the only relevant search terms?
FileBot doesn't know that without searching first and seeing what comes back. FileBot is working correctly as long as the first result in the selection is the result you want. In your specific case, we could assume that the file name is all we need, but that assumption won't hold true for all FileBot users. There are many many use cases where key pieces of information is only present in the parent folder, or parent parent folder, or parent parent parent folder, etc.

e.g.

Code: Select all

A/Alias/1x01.mkv
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.