cheaters

Changes to ar binding - format no longer working

Post by cheaters »

Hey Red

TLDR I found a solution - bottom of this post

I had been changing the result of Aspect Ratio in my formula from this:
to this:
2.40∶1
Since colons are not allowed in filenames on mac I had been using the ratio character which is allowed, but that stopped working in my format sometime around Aug 25, 2021 and just noticed this week :!: :lol: You provided the format below at some point and I had been using it for years - thanks again for that tip.

Code: Select all

{info:video[0].displayAspectRatioString.colon(":").replace('?', '∶')}
I tried this today but it also failed to change anything (FYI in code view the colon and ratio character appear the same)

{ar.toString().replace(':' '∶')}
This begins to work, other than the ratio character is duplicated...

{ar.toString().replace('1', '∶1')}
Results in:
2.40∶∶1
Other interesting and unexpected formatting results...

ar.toString().replace('1', '-1')}
Produces...
2.40∶-1

ar.toString().replace('∶1', '-1')
(with ratio character)

Produces
2.40-1
:idea:

After trying many things... the following works - not sure what's going on behind the scenes or what's changed though :?:

{ar.toString().replace('∶1', '"∶"1')}
That is: "single quote, ratio, 1, single quote, comma, single quote, double quote, ratio, double quote, 1, single quote"
2.40∶1
That is: "2, period, 4, 0, ratio, 1"
cheaters

Re: Changes to ar binding - format no longer working

Post by cheaters »

Also I want to rename all of the existing files in my catalog ~6000. At one point Red you were going to explain how to do this without re-querying but using existing data instead?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The {ar} binding is already using the ∶ RATIO character:

$ filebot -mediainfo *.mp4 --format "{ ar } | { ar.transliterate('name') }"
4∶3 | \N{DIGIT FOUR}\N{RATIO}\N{DIGIT THREE}

:!: The {ar} binding notably replaces all non-digit characters, including . DOT, with ∶ RATIO, so if {video[0].DisplayAspectRatioString} is giving you 2.40:1 then {ar} will give you 2∶40∶1 but you claim different results. Please double check that the code you write is actually the code that is being used.

:?: What does the MediaInfo Inspector say for the file at hand?
rednoah wrote: 05 Nov 2016, 14:58 Image Open FileBot ➔ Image Edit Format ➔ Image Change Sample ➔ Image Open MediaInfo ➔ Copy to Clipboard
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

jprokos wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 23:40 Also I want to rename all of the existing files in my catalog ~6000. At one point Red you were going to explain how to do this without re-querying but using existing data instead?
:arrow: Please watch How do I restore match information from locally stored xattr metadata?
:arrow: Please read Re-organize previously organized files using local xattr metadata
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

I explained above what I am seeing when using the GUI not the CLI.

While testing it to show evidence of my "claim" ;) I see a different but possibly related issue. See video screenshot below

In the GUI using just this preset format on a movie file with a display aspect ratio of 16:9...
{info:video[0].displayAspectRatioString.colon(":").replace('?', '∶')}

I get this as a result in the GUI "New Names" panel
16:9
If I double click to "edit name" in the GUI and drag that to the Character Viewer on macOS it tells me it's a "colon" not a ratio character and when I hit "Copy" (since macOS file system can't handle colons) it is changed to a forward slash by the macOS filesystem.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jq9 ... .mov?raw=1

Another video showing more (75MB)
Using this formula

{n} ({y}) {info:video[0].displayAspectRatioString.colon(":").replace('?', '∶')}
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4kc ... .mov?raw=1

:idea:
When using the following formula I see the original issue and results. Looks like it's caused by {plex.derive} in combination with {info:video[0].displayAspectRatioString.colon(":").replace('?', '∶')

{plex.derive{' '}{info:video[0].displayAspectRatioString.colon("∶").replace('?', '∶')}}
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The GUI the and the CLI are interchangeable. The CLI is more suitable for copy & paste:

$ filebot -mediainfo *.mp4 --format "{ ar } | { ar.transliterate('name') }"
4∶3 | \N{DIGIT FOUR}\N{RATIO}\N{DIGIT THREE}

Video 1/2 show you're not using the {ar} binding. Video 2 @ 10s confirms that the {ar} does use RATIO but incorrectly replaces DOTS with RATIO as well:
rednoah wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 05:40 :!: The {ar} binding notably replaces all non-digit characters, including . DOT, with ∶ RATIO, so if {video[0].DisplayAspectRatioString} is giving you 2.40:1 then {ar} will give you 2∶40∶1 but you claim different results.

:?: What does the MediaInfo Inspector say for the file at hand? That would allow me to fix the {ar} binding.
rednoah wrote: 05 Nov 2016, 14:58 Image Open FileBot ➔ Image Edit Format ➔ Image Change Sample ➔ Image Open MediaInfo ➔ Copy to Clipboard

EDIT: Nevermind. I found a sample file with 2.35:1 aspect ratio. {ar} has been fixed with FileBot r9320 and now yields 2.35∶1 instead of 2∶35∶1.

:arrow: As for your code, it's just wrong: video[0].displayAspectRatioString.colon(":").replace('?', '∶') doesn't do anything, because first you replace colons with colons, i.e. do nothing, and then you replace question mark with ratio, i.e. do nothing because there are no question marks to replace.

e.g. replace COLON with RATIO using the String.colon() method:

{ video[0].displayAspectRatioString.colon('∶') }
e.g. replace COLON with RATIO using the String.replace() method:

{ video[0].displayAspectRatioString.replace(':', '∶') }
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Ah! I see. The code you posted isn't actually the code you are using. If you inject custom values into {plex} then {plex} will indeed apply it's normalisation steps not just to its own components but also to components you've added. That's probably a fine detail that might have changed over time. Best to keep it though because it'd be a problem if someone accidentally injected / and it wasn't taken care of. If you must have a ratio, then you can always write your own format entirely.

{ plex.derive{ " : " }{ '1∶4' } }

If you don't have subtitles, then you don't need to inject anything into the file name (before the subtitle language extension) then things are easy:

{ plex } { ar }
If you want to use {plex} and deal with subtitles, and bypass {plex} normalisation steps, then you'll have to take it apart like so:

{ plex ^ null } { ar }{ subt }
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

:?: What does the MediaInfo Inspector say for the file at hand? That would allow me to fix the {ar} binding.

# MediaInfoLib - v21.09

CompleteName               : /Volumes/PlexMedia/PlexServer_1/Movies/Clockwatchers (1997)/Clockwatchers (1997) {imdb-tt0118866} 
[Video]

Width                     : 1920
Width/String              : 1 920 pixels
Height                    : 1040
Height/String             : 1 040 pixels
Sampled_Width             : 1920
Sampled_Height            : 1040
PixelAspectRatio          : 1.000
DisplayAspectRatio        : 1.846
DisplayAspectRatio/String : 1.85:1
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/d5j ... .mov?raw=0

using {ar.toString.replace}

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/gw1 ... .mov?raw=0
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Haha. Looks like you found a way to trick the system into doing what you want, but keep in mind that this is purely by happy accident, and not by design. :lol:

The colon() normalisation step will do different kinds of replacement depending on the context, and I guess you can trick the code into not replacing a ratio character by surrounding it with non-word characters:

{ '[∶] 1∶2 1:2 : C : R'.colon(".", " - ")}

[∶] 1.2 1.2 - C - R

Any invalid character like " is stripped, and so that's why what you're doing in your latest video kinda accidentally returns the value you want. The " " prevents the ratio from being converted to a . and the " " is then stripped leaving only the ratio remaining:

{ plex.derive{ ' - "x"y"z"'}.name }

Firefly - S01E01 - Serenity - xyz
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

I would rather the aspect ratios were all "Film" ratios and not intermixed with "TV" ratios but I guess this depends on the metadata in the file itself?

4:3 should be 1.33:1
5:3 should be 1.66:1

etc.

I even see some ratios in metadata where instead of a ":1" there is a "0"
Here is a list of all the different and weird ratios in my filenames: I am thinking that some are calculated from the dimensions since the real ratio was never entered for the file.

0-zsh% find -E . -regex ".*2\.[0-9]{1,3}.*|.*1\.[0-9]{1,2}.*" > output2.txt 
0-zsh% egrep -o -e '2\.[0-9]{1,3}' -e '1\.[0-9]{1,3}'  output2.txt | sort -u   

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot just passes along whatever MediaInfo can read from the file content, so maybe DisplayAspectRatio (decimal) might work better than DisplayAspectRatio/String (fraction) for your needs, and you can always add the ∶1 at the end:

{ video[0].DisplayAspectRatio + '∶1' }
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

rednoah wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 05:46
jprokos wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 23:40 Also I want to rename all of the existing files in my catalog ~6000. At one point Red you were going to explain how to do this without re-querying but using existing data instead?
:arrow: Please watch How do I restore match information from locally stored xattr metadata?
:arrow: Please read Re-organize previously organized files using local xattr metadata
:!:
This is unexpected. Nearly all of the movie files I have were renamed with FileBot CLI using a called bash script. Looking through those files it's hit and miss for xattr data.
Whereas the files I have recently renamed using the GUI (while testing this new formula) do contain xattr data.
:?: Why would xattr data disappear or have never been added if the files were renamed with filebot?
:?: How can I correct this?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

There is a large number of possible reasons, that generally fall into one of two categories:
* Files are copied to a drive that doesn't support xattr / Alternate Data Streams and are silently lost at that point, or files are copied by a tool that is not aware of xattr / Alternate Data Streams and so that tool might write the file content to the target location, but might forget to do the same for Alternate Data Streams.
* Files have xattr / Alternate Data Streams are readable / writable in one file system view but not another, e.g. if you write xattr on a local Linux server, and then access these files remotely via SMB from a remote Windows client, then it probably won't work, because the SMB protocol typically doesn't expose local Linux xattr as Alternate Data Streams to remote SMB clients.

You have to process files with FileBot again - as usual - to write metadata again. FileBot stores xattr / Alternate Data Streams when you click the Rename button.

:idea: If you choose to process files again, then you may want to configure FileBot to store metadata into plain text files beforehand, because normal files don't silently get lost, and work better if you are using SMB shares:
rednoah wrote: 24 Oct 2012, 11:16 Configure FileBot to store xattr metadata in plain text files instead of filesystem xattr streams:

filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.xattr.store=.xattr
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

rednoah wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 11:21
:idea: If you choose to process files again, then you may want to configure FileBot to store metadata into plain text files beforehand, because normal files don't silently get lost, and work better if you are using SMB shares:
rednoah wrote: 24 Oct 2012, 11:16 Configure FileBot to store xattr metadata in plain text files instead of filesystem xattr streams:

filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.xattr.store=.xattr
I liked this idea since whatever process is causing the metadata do be removed is unknown to me. My system supports xattr metadata.

So I did configure to save xattr as sidecar text files and hoped to move that metadata to external text files... Unfortunately I had already used tmdb datasource to rename all of my files, which was an overnight process :shock:

As of now the xattr data is attached to each of the files I renamed, so I hoped I could "export" that existing xattr data instead of re-querying tmdb datasource. If this is possible it seems it should be faster.

:?: Is that possible? How?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can Export .xattr folders for existing files via the Filter ➔ Attributes ➔ Apply ➔ Export .xattr folders action.

:!: Make sure to reset FileBot to default settings first. If you configure FileBot to use .xattr folders first, then it won't see native file system xattr.
islandrob

Post by islandrob »

I have a question in relation to your last post. Some time ago I configured FIleBot to use .xattr folders, using the properties script you mentioned. I've decided to go back to native file system xattr. How do I switch it back?

Also, is there a way to write it into the file, as well as have the .xattr folder? I'm just curious on this point.

Rob
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

islandrob wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 23:37 I've decided to go back to native file system xattr. How do I switch it back?
You can unset settings by setting them to empty:

filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.xattr.store=
You can also manually edit the configuration file. See console output of the command if you need help finding the configuration file.

islandrob wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 23:37 Also, is there a way to write it into the file, as well as have the .xattr folder? I'm just curious on this point.
Yes. You can Export .xattr folders in addition to default behaviour via the Filter ➔ Attributes ➔ Apply ➔ Export .xattr folders post-processing action.

:!: That will only export the .xattr folders as a separate independent behaviour. FileBot internally won't read/write them unless it's configured to do so. There is no "use native xattr if possible; but try .xattr folders to if the former doesn't work" feature because having things in one place or the other almost guarantees that one will get lost somehow at some point. That said, the Smart Mode: Attributes feature (at least in newer revisions) does check for internal embedded attributes and external .xattr folders.
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

Can we revisit this :?:
rednoah wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 19:19 FileBot just passes along whatever MediaInfo can read from the file content, so maybe DisplayAspectRatio (decimal) might work better than DisplayAspectRatio/String (fraction) for your needs, and you can always add the ∶1 at the end:

{ video[0].DisplayAspectRatio + '∶1' }
On the command line, using {plex.id.derive}, I can not get a Ratio sign to appear on macOS. With no special formatting every colon is still replaced by periods. Not just {ar} but {h} as well.

Using a preset in FB GUI I CAN still get the following to work, but it does not work on the CLI.

{
plex.id.derive{' {edition-'+tags.toString().replace('[','').replace(']','')+'}' }
{'['}{ hours.replace('∶', '"∶"')+']' }
{'['}{ video[0].displayAspectRatio + '"∶"1'}{']'}
}
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:?: Can you provide a CLI test case that doesn't work? If you have an issue with the CLI, then presumably there's a CLI command at play that you could easily copy & paste?

e.g. {hours} uses ∶ RATIO and thus works by default:

$ filebot -mediainfo -r /input --format "{hours}"
0∶23
e.g. adding ∶1 to some value also works:

$ filebot -mediainfo -r /input --format "{ video[0].displayAspectRatio + '∶1' }"
1.333∶1
e.g. combining all of the above to rename files shows no issues:

$ filebot -rename -r /input --db file --format "{fn} [{hours}] [{ video[0].displayAspectRatio + '∶1' }]"
[MOVE] from [X.mkv] to [X [0∶23] [1.333∶1].mkv]

:idea: If it works in the GUI, but not in the CLI, then you're likely not actually passing the format value you think you are passing. The " in your format would be the usual suspect if you also use "..." to escape argument values. Please read Cmdline and Argument Passing for details.

EDIT:

:!: Note that {plex} will not work because {plex} will automatically replace COLON and RATIO with appropriate replacement characters, either - or . depending on the context. Any additional values that you inject into the {plex} path is subject to cleanup and normalization operations, and so you cannot inject colon, ratio, slash, etc into the {plex} path. This behaviour is identical in both GUI and CLI, so if you do indeed get different behaviours in GUI and CLI, then it's not that, or we're missing something.

EDIT 2:

FileBot r9649 will now use RATIO instead of . when cleaning/normalizing 1:1 patterns. This will also allow you to inject RATIO into {plex} with either COLON or RATIO since either will be normalized to RATIO.