App Is Damaged and Can’t Be Opened

Support for macOS users
klebel

App Is Damaged and Can’t Be Opened

Post by klebel »

Hey guys I bought lifetime license and I am trying to get Filebot installed on my Macbook Air M1. During the install I get the below message.

"Filebot" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash. followed by:

"Filebot" could not be moved to Trash. Please move this item to the trash manually.

I have downloaded and tried both the ARM and x64 installers and get exactly the same messages. I have reboot, etc and nothing changes. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Crash during install

Post by rednoah »

:?: What do you see?

:arrow: Please include Screenshots so what we can see what you can see. Please read How to Request Help for details.

:idea: Note that the App Is Damaged and Can’t Be Opened message is usually fake, and is in fact an Apple child safety feature that prevents you from running applications from the internet. Using Right-Click instead of Double-Click to launch the installer might give you the option to ignore these Apple restrictions.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
klebel

Re: App Is Damaged and Can’t Be Opened

Post by klebel »

Sorry I thought I explained it pretty well. What I see are those two dialogue boxes that I listed above. I did not attach screen shots because I see no way to attach pictures to the posts. The pictures would just be exactly what I mentioned above. Also, the child safety doesnt not give a corrupt message. Apple gives you a warning that the pkg was downloaded from the internet and that it was not signed developer and then you are given the option to continue loading or cancel. This is different. Just out of curiousity, I tried what you mentioned with the right click and get exactly the same issue. Its just a macbook air M1 running Ventura 13.0.1. Any other thoughts?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I have tested the latest *.pkg macOS installer on macOS Monterey (arm64) and macOS Ventura (x86_64) and cannot reproduce the issue. Installer runs. Application runs. I am currently not able to test macOS Ventura (arm64) specifically due to lack of hardware.
klebel

Post by klebel »

No problem. Can I help in any way? Send logs, etc?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You could try following the advice given in App Is Damaged and Can’t Be Opened and see if any of the suggestions work.

:arrow: I'd start with the xattr -d com.apple.quarantine advice a the bottom of the page, i.e. use Terminal to delete the com.apple.quarantine attribute so that macOS doesn't apply any "this file came from the internet" restrictions:

Code: Select all

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine *.pkg

:idea: Since the error message suggests a broken file, I'd also check the file hash to exclude that possibility right away:

Code: Select all

$ shasum -a 256 *.pkg
aad91731c3da98a542bb8da0f022758add0f2d33b88c3cd9d6ce1213c61f9873  FileBot_4.9.6_arm64.pkg
klebel

Post by klebel »

Figured it out!
God damn Apple. It seems in Ventura that if you try to install off a networked drive this happens with EVERY installer pkg right now.
I have a NAS server in my house and have my download folder for my macbook mapped to use my NAS to save local space. The install HAS to be local or you will get that error every time.
I moved the pkg to my local download folder and it installed just fine.
New OS security issue for sure but VERY obscure.