Renaming files problem - Error "Nothing to rename..."

Support for macOS users
HvS

Renaming files problem - Error "Nothing to rename..."

Post by HvS »

Hello!

I´m completely new to FileBot. I just downloaded it yesterday from the Mac AppStore. In the first test with a few files it did its job really well.

But now I have a problem: When I select files and drag them into the „original files“ box, they are light grey. When i click on the rename-button, i get a banner that says „Nothing to rename. Please ad some files and fetch naming data first“.

It might have something to do with the permission that one has to grant fliebot. I´m not sure if I did that the right way. Is there a way to reset FileBot completely so that it will ask again for permission? I´ve tried to delete and reinstall FileBot but that doesn´t work. I´ve tried it on my other Mac (MacBook Air) with the same files, but i get the same results.

I´m using:
- Mac Mini 2012 with i5
- Yosemite 10.10.4
- FileBot 4.6 (3028) from the AppStore
- the media files are on an external USB hard drive – the files are episodes from TV shows and movies – no trailers or stuff like that.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks,
Hans

rednoah
The Source

Re: Renaming files problem - Error "Nothing to rename..."

Post by rednoah »

Just have a tiny glance at the Getting Started first:
http://www.filebot.net/getting-started/

There's also a video tutorial that shows you how it works, in 30 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRq2_Pjyko8
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
HvS

Post by HvS »

Thanks for your response but it wasn´t helpful at all. You´ve obviously only read, that i´m new to FileBot and did not bother to read my post completely. So you didn´t get my problem at all.

I might have done something wrong the first time the program (or the app sandboxing for that matter) asked for permission to access my files. In that window it says that the program will remember my choice and never ask again. And now I don´t get the window to grant permission again. I only get that error-message "Nothing to rename...". I´ve wanted to know how i can reset the program or the sandboxing app, so that it asks me again for permission. That´s all. There must be a way. Right?
Thanks,
Hans
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If it's not asking for permission, then it doesn't need permission. The error you describe and show on the screenshot has nothing to do with permissions.

FileBot wrote:Nothing to rename. Please add some files and fetch naming data first.
This means that you clicked "Rename" to rename some "Original Files" without any "New Names". Your screenshot shows that "New Names" is empty. It's not a problem, it's a message telling you to click Fetch Data.

How to Rename files:
  • Load files (you did that)
  • Click "Fetch Data" (you did NOT do that)
  • Rename (you did that)

I read your post, and unless it's severely misleading, this here is the answer (same as it says on the tutorial images/videos). If in fact you have another different problem, please post screenshots that make that problem more clear.

:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.