Rename Folders in 4.7

Support for macOS users
nholloman

Rename Folders in 4.7

Post by nholloman »

hey can someone point me to how to use the new rename folder feature that was listed in the 4.7 new features list? I know about the control + shift drop thing on older versions, but this was listed as something new. Is there a way to rename the whole folder plus what is inside it and have it auto cleanup all of the files?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Rename Folders in 4.7

Post by rednoah »

What exactly are you trying to do? Please include screenshots.

If you're using the "control + shift drop" feature you're probably already doing something somewhat strange. Please explain why you process Movie/Episode folders instead of files.

The new feature has nothing to do with literally renaming folders, but with moving files into a new folder structure and removing left-behind empty folders, which most people would describe as "renaming folders" even though that's not technically the case.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
nholloman

Post by nholloman »

Ok here is what I am trying to accomplish. My movie library consists of a folder for each movie and it's supporting files like.nfo, .srt etc. I would like the software to automatically rename the folder and files inside with the same name at the same time. is that more clear? thanks for the the help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

That sounds like you don't need the "control + shift drop" feature at all. That would only be useful if you want to process folders as a whole where files inside that folder are not linked to the movie (e.g. folder.jpg).

However, nfo files (identified via its content) and subtitle files (identified via video files of the same name) are processed just fine by default.

1. Use a absolute format like this:

Code: Select all

{home}/Media/{plex}
2. Drop in your movie folders
3. "Original Files" will now contain entries for all video, subtitle and nfo files
4. Right-click "New Names" and select "TheMovieDB"
5. Confirm matches and click "Rename"
6. Now that files have been moved into a new structure the new "Rename Folders" feature will make sure that the now empty movie folders left behind in the original location are deleted
nholloman

Post by nholloman »

Ok i have that figured out and all I need to know now is how to edit the {plex} script to not include a "movies" folder in the beginning of its path because it varies from my current folder structure. How can I accomplish this? my current path and format is this: /Volumes/SG-1500-1/Movies - 2/02. UNTAGGED - 2/{plex} the untagged - 2 folder is the last one where the movies go into. the {plex} thing works perfectly except it keeps putting a "movies" folder inside my untagged - 2 folder.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You don't have to use the {plex} binding. You can copy the last part from the examples depending on what exactly you want:

/Volumes/SG-1500-1/Movies - 2/02. UNTAGGED - 2/{ny}/{ny}{' CD'+pi}{subt}
nholloman

Post by nholloman »

wow. thank you so much. i guess the only other thing I could ask is if there is anyway for filebot to auto follow the original directory path instead of having to type it in? I put the movies right into the same folder that they are renamed into. It would be awesome if there was a way to have it auto-follow the directory path it is already in. Anyway. Thanks again so much. I really appreciate it.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You mean relative to it's original location?

Relative to media root of original file:

{ny}/{ny}{' CD'+pi}{subt}
Relative to original file:

./{ny}/{ny}{' CD'+pi}{subt}
nholloman

Post by nholloman »

the first one works, but it drops the new folder off up one directory level. so it is in the movies-2/ folder rather than the movies-2/untagged - 2/ folder. Any ideas?

second one I'm not sure how to use though. Thanks for your help so far and your patience.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you have this file:

/path/to/Avatar 2009.mp4
And you want this output path:

/path/to/Avatar (2009)/Avatar (2009).mp4
Then this is the format you want to be using:

./{ny}/{ny}{' CD'+pi}{subt}
Wikipedia wrote:Two dots ("..") point upwards in the hierarchy, to indicate the parent directory; one dot (".") represents the current directory itself.
@see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)

the first one works, but it drops the new folder off up one directory level. so it is in the movies-2/ folder rather than the movies-2/untagged - 2/ folder. Any ideas?
"media root" auto-detection may not always work exactly the way you want, depending on how strangely your folders are named.