Unable to Launch FileBot

Support for macOS users
leejk

Unable to Launch FileBot

Post by leejk »

Hello,

I have a weird problem on the Mac. After installing FileBot from the App store, when I launch it from LaunchPad a message pops up saying "The application "FileBot.app can't be opened." However it I go to /Applications/FileBot.app/Contents/MacOS and double click FileBotAppLauncher, it starts normally. Any ideas?

I have the brew cask version installed too, which works fine, if that might matter.

thx
rednoah
The Source

Re: Unable to Launch FileBot

Post by rednoah »

What's the output of the following commands?

Code: Select all

open /Applications/FileBot.app

Code: Select all

codesign -v --verbose /Applications/FileBot.app
Open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and see if there's any logs that might shed some light on the issue.

Have you tried uninstalling both MAS and brew versions and the reinstalling the MAS version and see if that makes the MAS version work again?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
leejk

Post by leejk »

Figured it out. Yesterday the App Store was asking me to accept a new privacy agreement, but when I tried to do it, the process kept failing. It still let me install FileBot. Today the App Store finally let me accept the agreement, and when it did I re-installed FileBot and it works as expected now. Perhaps there was just an impartial install before?

thx
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yeah, I guess that only makes sense. If you run FileBotAppLauncher then you just run things directly. But if you click on the app bundle the OS might do all kinds of things like verifying digital signatures and such before running FileBotAppLauncher in a sandboxed environment.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.