FileSystemException error when renaming on SMB network share

Support for macOS users
pulzar

FileSystemException error when renaming on SMB network share

Post by pulzar »

Recently purchased FileBot 4.7.7 and have found the GUI works well locally on my Macbook, but connecting to the shares on my PC Media Server has now cost me hours of mucking around trying to work out why I keep getting the message:

FileSystemException: /Volumes/Share/Folder/Title -> Renamed Detail

Have confirmed all share and security permissions are set with full access on the server, and that I'm connecting to the share as the administrator. Can directly rename or trash anything in the folder from within Finder, so can't understand what's not working.

Copying the files to my Macbook I can easily FileBot them and copy them back again, but when we're talking about TB's of files it's a total waste of my time and not what I'm wanting to do.

After spending money to purchase the app from the Application Store it's frustrating to not be able to get it working within my environment, and it's doing my head in not being able to get to the bottom of it!

My Macbook Pro is running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, please don't ask me to upgrade to the latest OS X release as it's incompatible with other software I use.

Help me RedNoah Kenobi, you're my only hope!

SysInfo gives the following detail if that helps in the slightest:

Code: Select all

FileBot 4.7.7 (r4678)
JNA Native: 4.0.1
MediaInfo: 0.7.88
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: 1.1.0
Extended Attributes: OK
Script Bundle: 2017-01-05 (r470)
Groovy: 2.4.7
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_111
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 1 GB Max Memory / 240 MB Used Memory
Package: MAS
Data: /Users/home/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot/Data/Library/Application Support/User Data
uname: Darwin Andys-MacBook-Pro.local 14.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.5.0: Sun Sep 25 22:07:15 PDT 2016; root:xnu-2782.50.9~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileSystemException error when renaming on SMB network share

Post by rednoah »

Finder is special. Other programs, especially sandboxed ones, may not have the same elevated permissions that Finder has.

pulzar wrote:I'm connecting to the share as the administrator
FileBot is running as your local user. Did you mount the network drive as your local user? (regardless of SMB access credentials) Different users may not have access to each others shares or privileges.

Is FileSystemException: A -> B really all it says? Is there no reason after the paths in the error message? Click the error message to copy the text to the clipboard and then paste it here please.

Network filesystem issues are common and manifold. Doing a quick search on Google might help you find a solution or a workaround depending on your setup. Might be a Mac OS issue. Might be a SMB issue. Tweaking some seemingly unrelated settings might fix it. I recommend trying both SMB and AFP protocols if that's an option.

Unfortunately, every file is a local file as far as FileBot is concerned, so if it works for local files, but not network shares, then it's a problem in the OS network filesystem abstraction layer and FileBot has absolutely no way of doing anything about that.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
timbck2

Post by timbck2 »

I'm having a similar problem, except I use NFS to access my NAS. The error I get is: "FileSystemException: /path/to/folder: Operation not supported". Any ideas how I can deal with this?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Thanks for the post! Before a real human comes by, please make sure your report has all the following points checked:
  • What are you trying to do achieve? What's not working? What have you tried so far?
  • Include screenshots, logs or filenames (i.e. demonstrate the issue)
  • Include basic information (i.e. sysinfo output)
:idea: Please read How to Request Help and Fix Problems, Report Bugs, Get Features
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.