Renaming for Plex in FB 4.5.3?

Support for macOS users
ILoveFileBot

Renaming for Plex in FB 4.5.3?

Post by ILoveFileBot »

Greetings FileBot Fans,

I get that a condition of speaking to me is that I upgrade to the latest version but I must beg a little for mercy as I can't upgrade for a few weeks, until our tax refund. We're an elderly couple and you know how it is.

We're excited to be playing with FileBot 4.5.3, though, and wonder if anyone can direct us to relatively easy instructions for applying the Plex naming conventions in this version. I'm an English major not a coder but I persevere for big rewards and this is certainly one.

I'll offer up special prayers for anyone willing to touch the lepers and help us out.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Renaming for Plex in FB 4.5.3?

Post by rednoah »

Presumably that's an older version before the introduction of the {plex} binding?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4116

There's Custom Naming Schemes which should be more or less what {plex} does, but made with more simple and more backwards-compatible basic building blocks.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ILoveFileBot

Post by ILoveFileBot »

Thank you, rednoah. You are most kind. Apologies for my delay responding. Somehow the alert to my email failed and I found your kind reply in a visit today.

Yes, exactly. The new version will have Plex built-in, I understand. We can't wait! I'll take a look at your link, appreciate something to try while we wait.
ILoveFileBot

Post by ILoveFileBot »

Well I've just applied my new-found "knowledge" and got into a bit of trouble with it. These things are a lot harder without the mental capacity of you young folks. In the example given how does FileBot know to give unique titles to each episode of, say, "King of Queens" when I'm giving it only one example of the format? How does it look up the titles might be a better way of saying it. I marveled at how this worked with the drop-down menus. Maybe I'd better just wait 'til we have the version with Plex in the drop-down?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Plex is not a database for movie/episode information, so there won't be a Plex button in the database list. If you're using Plex, then you should always use the databases used by Plex, i.e. TheTVDB and TheMovieDB.

Here's how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRq2_Pjyko8

Drop files.

Select database and have FileBot figure out what's what (i.e. know which file is which episode).

Now that FileBot has a file/episode pair, it can use that information to generate a file path, using any kind of information that is known about the file or the episode.

:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.