Forever Beachball on 'Folder Permission Required'

Support for macOS users
tguh

Forever Beachball on 'Folder Permission Required'

Post by tguh »

Hello Team Filebot,

I'm recently switching to fully use MacOS from Windows, and one the first app that I installed is Filebot.

Unfortunately, I doesn't seems to understand the warning box about granting permission to the folder, when the box pops out, it will becoming beachball forever, been trying to use several ways including dragging the folder from another finder windows and dragging the icon of the folder with the padlock from the warning box, still the same. I been looking from solution from this forum but unable to find it.

Any helps will be appreciated, MacOS Sierra 10.12.5, MBP Retina 2015, latest Filebot from MAS.

Thanks,

Teguh
rednoah
The Source

Re: Forever Beachball on 'Folder Permission Required'

Post by rednoah »

So you're saying FileBot freezes whenever you drag a folder over the "Grant Permission" dialog?

Alternatively, you can try to click on the "Locked Folder" icon, which should open up a File Dialog and if you select a folder with that then macOS will give FileBot permissions to the selected folder.

The easiest way would be to just load the entire folder in the first place, and not individual files, so that FileBot will have access to the entire folder right away, so it'll never have to ask for permissions later on when processing files.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
tguh

Post by tguh »

Eh, I worked perfectly when I try to do it with the whole folder. Yesterday I thought I'm gonna try it with one file first hehe

Thanks! Have a nice day.
donileo

Post by donileo »

I am getting this issue as soon as the Folder Permissions Required Window pops up on Filebot. What can be done as this really really annoying?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

rednoah wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 16:53 So you're saying FileBot freezes whenever you drag a folder over the "Grant Permission" dialog?

Alternatively, you can try to click on the "Locked Folder" icon, which should open up a File Dialog and if you select a folder with that then macOS will give FileBot permissions to the selected folder.

The easiest way would be to just load the entire folder in the first place, and not individual files, so that FileBot will have access to the entire folder right away, so it'll never have to ask for permissions later on when processing files.
Does any of this advice work for you?

Can you provide the full file paths for some of the folders where you repeatedly get Folder Permissions Required dialogs?
donileo

Post by donileo »

The suggestions provided above dont work for me because the beachball comes up and Filebot stops responding and must be forced-closed. Loading the entire folder doesn’t truly work for me as it seems Filebot is trying to gain access to the destination folder and not a folder I can "load" as a source.

Some full file paths of the source where the original files initially are:
"/Volumes/media/downloads/The Seven Deadly Sins - Legendary Figures - 17.mkv"
"/Volumes/media/downloads/Dunkirk.mkv"

Some full file paths of the destination where the renamed files will be placed are:
"/Volumes/media/tv shows/anime/The Seven Deadly Sins/Season 02/The Seven Deadly Sins - S02E17 - Legendary Figures.mkv"
"/Volumes/media/movies/Dunkirk (2017)/Dunkirk (2017).mkv"

This file paths are on a mounted network AFP volume.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

In this case, FileBot should be asking for access to the downloads or media folder. Is this the case? So it hangs with beachball of death when dragging in any of these folders?

Have you tried a few tests with different files on different filesystems yet? Does it work with files on your desktop or local home folder? Have you tried using SMB instead of AFP for your remote mount?
donileo

Post by donileo »

Yes it hangs as soon Filebot opens Finder to the root directory where the folder it wants permissions is in. Right then and there the beachball happens. I tried all other conditions you mentioned.. with the source file being on the local drive, and from an SMB share and the results are the same. Also tested with the source on the Desktop and the renaming location being on the local drive/desktop and issue still persists.

In my case it seems like FileBot is hanging on attempting to open the second folder for permissions in Finder. Usually the way my renames go is my src folder is one directory and the renaming location in a separate directory for which FileBot needs to ask for permission.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You could try to preemptively drop in the destination folder before processing any files (e.g. into the Filter panel) and then try again.

Dropping files into FileBot should make the OS give FileBot access, and then it shouldn't need to ask for access later, skipping the bit where Finder freezes.
donileo

Post by donileo »

rednoah wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 07:15 You could try to preemptively drop in the destination folder before processing any files (e.g. into the Filter panel) and then try again.

Dropping files into FileBot should make the OS give FileBot access, and then it shouldn't need to ask for access later, skipping the bit where Finder freezes.
Sure. But.. But given that its Filebot which seems to be hanging and how annoying this issue is it would be great if this was fixed. Is the info I provided not enough to reproduce the issue on your end?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. It's probably an odd Finder issue, rather than a odd FileBot issue, isolated to your machine due to some odd reason.

Can you reproduce the same issue on other Mac computers, if you have any available?
donileo

Post by donileo »

This issue is still happening for me and it’s the worst. It pretty much makes Filebot unusable for me. Unfortunately I don't have another machine I can test with, but mind you I've upgraded my system through at least two major releases of MacOS since I reported this issue and the issue still happens.

I just tried dragging into the Filter panel as you said and nope still get the beach ball asking for permissions. If it helps any keep in mind that the folder its asking permissions for is an AFP share on a NAS. I don't doubt Filebot can work with this directory as it actually does once it actually gets the permissions. Problem is it loses the permissions and once it does I'm back in the beachball problem.

I managed to get the console log and some stack trace which I'm not sure if it would be helpful. Where can I send them?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You may paste logs here:
https://pastebin.com/

:idea: Please read How to Request Help for details.
donileo

Post by donileo »

Here is the stack trace for attempting to open the folder by dragging to filter.
https://pastebin.com/UxdREGuk

The console logs (not all but enough see the sandbox issues) for when The permissions popup shows:
https://pastebin.com/eiw0706N
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

This particular crash is related to libmediainfo parsing a media file:

Code: Select all

Thread 49 Crashed:: Java: SwingWorker-pool-1-thread-8
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib          0x00007fff6e7ed33a __pthread_kill + 10
1   libsystem_pthread.dylib         0x00007fff6e8a9e60 pthread_kill + 430
2   libsystem_c.dylib               0x00007fff6e774808 abort + 120
3   libjvm.dylib                    0x0000000102c1b38e os::abort(bool, void*, void const*) + 22
4   libjvm.dylib                    0x0000000102d7222e VMError::report_and_die(int, char const*, char const*, __va_list_tag*, Thread*, unsigned char*, void*, void*, char const*, int, unsigned long) + 2798
5   libjvm.dylib                    0x0000000102d7171b VMError::report_and_die(Thread*, unsigned int, unsigned char*, void*, void*, char const*, ...) + 155
6   libjvm.dylib                    0x0000000102d722b5 VMError::report_and_die(Thread*, unsigned int, unsigned char*, void*, void*) + 33
7   libjvm.dylib                    0x0000000102c1ec83 JVM_handle_bsd_signal + 786
8   libjvm.dylib                    0x0000000102c1c87c signalHandler(int, __siginfo*, void*) + 45
9   libsystem_platform.dylib        0x00007fff6e89e5fd _sigtramp + 29
10  ???                             0x656d2f73656d756c 0 + 7308549942961599852
11  libmediainfo.dylib              0x000000017b86c49c MediaInfoLib::MediaInfo_Internal::Open_Buffer_Init(unsigned long long, unsigned long long) + 156
12  libmediainfo.dylib              0x000000017bc1e31d MediaInfo_Open_Buffer_Init + 157
13  libjnidispatch.dylib            0x0000000172d25e74 ffi_call_unix64 + 76
14  libjnidispatch.dylib            0x0000000172d2543d ffi_call + 1005
15  libjnidispatch.dylib            0x0000000172d1b149 0x172d18000 + 12617
16  libjnidispatch.dylib            0x0000000172d1b4f7 Java_com_sun_jna_Native_invokeInt + 39
17  ???                             0x0000000115af7916 0 + 4658788630
18  ???                             0x0000000115e6e924 0 + 4662421796
:arrow: Presumably, there's one particular strange / corrupt file that crashes libmediainfo, and the FileBot process along with it. This would likely be unrelated to the original topic of this thread. You can systematically narrow down which specific file crashes FileBot, by dropping different folders into Filter to see which one makes FileBot crash, and which one doesn't, and narrow down from there until you find the one or more specific files that cause the crash, so you can delete them.
donileo

Post by donileo »

Ok, its possible the crash is unrelated. Maybe something is in the console logs I posted in regards to the freeze?

Is there a way to run the Filebot.app with logging to a file or the console? Not sure how to do it from the terminal..
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Nope. Not particularly.

Being denied file system access will prompt the Grant Permissions dialog, be we already knew that:

Code: Select all

sandboxd  Sandbox: filebot.launcher(248) deny(1) file-read-data /Volumes/media/downloads

Probably a strange obscure macOS problem. Maybe obscure Mac App Store problem. Maybe already fixed by newer versions of macOS / MAS. Maybe a combination of all of the above with something unique to your machine added to the mix. Looks like it's unique to your machine since nobody else encountered issues like that in the last ~3 years.

:arrow: Ditch the Mac App Store and try the "new" non-MAS classic PKG installer instead: https://www.filebot.net/download.html