FileSystemException ... Operation not permitted

Support for macOS users
maindude

FileSystemException ... Operation not permitted

Post by maindude »

When I try to rename something stored on my desktop, I get the FileSystemException ... Operation not permitted error. I checked permissions are read/write for all users and applied to all sub folders etc. Nothing helping so far. It always used to work perfectly. Any hints? This doesn't appear to be the same as the SMB issue on this forum as not renaming over a network or foreign file volume.
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileSystemException ... Operation not permitted

Post by rednoah »

Does it work for files in your home folder?

Are you trying to process the files of one user with another user? The MAS sandbox will impose additional restrictions on what an application can do, so there's a few things that you can do, that a sandboxed app is not allowed.

I don't know what exactly you're doing, but if you try a few different things you might be able to narrow down what's allowed and what's not.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
yhm28

Post by yhm28 »

rednoah wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 17:20 Does it work for files in your home folder?

Are you trying to process the files of one user with another user? The MAS sandbox will impose additional restrictions on what an application can do, so there's a few things that you can do, that a sandboxed app is not allowed.

I don't know what exactly you're doing, but if you try a few different things you might be able to narrow down what's allowed and what's not.
I am having the same problem. I don't see the usual drag and drop permissions dialog box anymore since the last update...
Last edited by yhm28 on 21 Apr 2018, 04:02, edited 2 times in total.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Can you can you provide more information?
yhm28

Post by yhm28 »

rednoah wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 03:58 Can you can you provide more information?
Running the usual operations used to cause the drag n drop permissions dialog box to appear before filebot had permission to write to the destination folder. Instead of seeing this box, I now see a red x, "Filesystemexception... operation not permitted"

Is there any way to run the app as admin?

How do I download 4.7.9 for mac ? I don't see any mac older versions posted at https://sourceforge.net/projects/filebot/files/filebot/
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Nope, this is related to app sandbox permissions. What specific file path do you have problems with? While there seem to be issues with volume folders like /Volumes/HDD, I don't see any issue with any normal folders like /Volumes/HDD/Media.

:idea: If you have an external drive, regardless on wether it's Windows or Mac, then it's always good to have normal folders for your files, and not put files on the drive root folder.
yhm28

Post by yhm28 »

rednoah wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 04:16 Nope, this is related to app sandbox permissions. What specific file path do you have problems with? While there seem to be issues with volume folders like /Volumes/HDD, I don't see any issue with any normal folders like /Volumes/HDD/Media.

:idea: If you have an external drive, regardless on wether it's Windows or Mac, then it's always good to have normal folders for your files, and not put files on the drive root folder.
Normal folders are causing problems. I don't copy to volume root folders.

Confirmed the problem is not present in 4.7.19. Will be more careful with updating next time. Where do mac users find old versions to roll back to when bugs like this pop up?
gn0s1s

Post by gn0s1s »

Renaming works fine within my Downloads folder in 4.8.0. Any folder on my external drive returns this error (I'm not attempting it at the root, just in normal folders on an external drive). I too would appreciate an easy link to roll back to when these bugs pop up. :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Please create a folder called "Data" or "Media" in your drive folder, and then move all your files into that folder. That way the permission dialog can come up for that folder you'll be able to process all your files.

e.g.

Code: Select all

/Volumes/USB_DRIVE/Data

/Volumes/USB_DRIVE/Media

/Volumes/USB_DRIVE/Downloads
Any of these folders should be fine.
gn0s1s

Post by gn0s1s »

Thanks. Since this wasn't a problem in 2.7.19 can we hope it will work back the way it used to in 2.8.1? :D
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes, hopefully that can be done. In the meanwhile, it's probably best to follow the best practices that maybe would have made sense all along. ;)
neutra

Post by neutra »

I had the same issue on an external drive that I have been using successfully all along. Based on this string so far I tried creating a new folder name "MEDIA" and then I moved everything on the drive into that. Now the renaming works again. Hope this helps to lead to a fix in the next version!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot 4.8.1 should fix most if not all of these grievances.

:idea: However, I still recommend using a folder structure that makes sense to FileBot, such as "Media", "Downloads", etc folders. That'll probably make FileBot work better in many unexpected / unpredictable ways.
Massaguana

Post by Massaguana »

With OSX 10.14.5 are some issues with "FileSystemException ... Operation not permitted" for already used folders... the drag and drop windows don´t comes up

When i use an complete other Drive it works, but my internal Drive is not working...

Is it possible to reset this "FileSystemException" System?

Regreads

Massaguana
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

What exactly are you doing? What does the log say?

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1868

FileSystemException means that the underlying operating system / file system doesn't support or allow a given operation. There's nothing FileBot can do about that.
Massaguana

Post by Massaguana »

I drag and drop an folder with some TV shows into Filebot, hit Match, hit Rename... Error message comes up. With 10.14.4 are no problems

folder: Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨-={ Temp }=-⁩/GOT

When i move the GoT folder to an USB Drive and do the same all works..

Mac AppStore Version, no F5 oder F7 Button works
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

So you're trying to process files in one of the system folders? The system tmp folder in this case?

AFAIK, macOS doesn't allow MAS apps to touch files outside of the user home directory and external storage devices. You'll have to use a folder in your home directory if you want to process files with FileBot.
Massaguana

Post by Massaguana »

No, the folder -={ Temp }=- is not an system folder. i create it by my self, but it is on my Systemdrive... my Computer have only one SSD

https://snag.gy/w3jIWT.jpg
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

It'd be reasonable to assume that Apple to limits sandboxed apps to the user home directory. Ubuntu SNAP sandboxing does the same.

Sure, you can create your own folders in the file system root, along side all the other system folders, but you'd need root permissions for that to begin with. So either Apple generally limits apps to the user home directory, or it's just a normal permission issue.

:arrow: Please move your special folder to your user home directory, and then things will just work.
AlThorman

Post by AlThorman »

Good