Moved external drive from network host to local - renames take a very long time now

Support for macOS users
manthe

Moved external drive from network host to local - renames take a very long time now

Post by manthe »

I have some external (USB) HDDs I store files on. For a time, those drives were connected to an older MacBook Air (irrelevant) that was set up as a file server and the drives were shared. I would map them to my current machine and would perform Filebot searches and renames on media files that I store on these drives. I've since sold the old notebook and now attach these external drives locally to my current notebook. The issue is, whenever I go to look up and rename media files on any of these drives, it hangs for at least 30 seconds and then I get an error telling me it cannot find the server (the old MacBook Air) - at which point it goes ahead and performs the rename. It's very annoying and time consuming. I've dug around FileBot looking for where this 'relationship' between these external drives and this old 'file server' might be severed but cannot find anything. Can anyone please point me to how to get rid of this annoyance?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Moved external drive from network host to local - renames take a very long time now

Post by rednoah »

As far as FileBot is concerned, all files are local files. The virtual filesystem layer of the OS is responsible for making any kind of local or remote filesystem look the same to end-user applications.

:?: So just to clarify, you are renaming files on your USB drive, but when you rename it hangs because it can't connect to some remote server?

The relationship must be in the operating system, and probably isn't related the the USB drive, and just happens to freeze whenever you do anything on any filesystem. My advice would be to make sure you have disconnected any remote drives or mounted remote folders, and then restart your computer.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
manthe

Re: Moved external drive from network host to local - renames take a very long time now

Post by manthe »

Thanks for the reply. The USB drives in question have been disconnected from the ‘remote server’ for months now (in which time the laptop to which they’re directly connected has been rebooted many times). For some reason *only* Filebot seems to ‘make the OS think’ that these drives are still connected to the remote system. I use these USB drives connected locally with many other apps (Lightroom, Photoshop, VLC, Beamer, etc, etc, etc) on a daily basis and none of these other apps hang or seem to think the drives aren’t locally connected - only Filebot.

To be clear - When I look-up and rename the files in Filebot, I am literally selecting and dragging the files from Finder, from the LOCALLY connected USB drives into the Filebot app. I perform the look-up and then the rename- at which point Filebot hangs and eventually comes back with error telling me it cannot find the old UNC (network) path and then just proceeds to allow me to dismiss the error and rename the files anyhow. NO other apps (native or otherwise) behave in this way. I really don’t see how it couldn’t have something to do with Filebot.

Thanks!

rednoah wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 18:41 As far as FileBot is concerned, all files are local files. The virtual filesystem layer of the OS is responsible for making any kind of local or remote filesystem look the same to end-user applications.

:?: So just to clarify, you are renaming files on your USB drive, but when you rename it hangs because it can't connect to some remote server?

The relationship must be in the operating system, and probably isn't related the the USB drive, and just happens to freeze whenever you do anything on any filesystem. My advice would be to make sure you have disconnected any remote drives or mounted remote folders, and then restart your computer.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

manthe wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 14:06 I really don’t see how it couldn’t have something to do with Filebot.
I agree on this point. But I don't even have a guess as to what's going on.

My only advice at this point is to try to narrow things down. Try a different computer with the same drive. Different drive with the same computer. Files you have created anew. Etc.

Presumably, you're using the latest version of macOS?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.