Super slow execution on Synology

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
diegolm

Super slow execution on Synology

Post by diegolm »

Hi!

I have a script to execute FileBot every hour, but sometimes I want to execute it manually.

I have noticed that it takes forever to execute, today I executed it at 12:43, it's 13:07 and it is still running.... And it only has 4 files to move...

This is the code I have in the screen right now:

Code: Select all

filebot -script 'fn:amc' /volume1/NAS/Incoming --output /volume1/MediaServer --action move -non-strict --order Airdate --conflict auto --lang en --def 'music=y' 'unsorted=y' 'artwork=y' 'subtitles=eng' 'skipExtract=y' 'excludeList=.excludes' --apply refresh --log all --log-file '/usr/local/filebot-node/data/filebot.log'

------------------------------------------

Run script [fn:amc] at [Wed Nov 25 12:43:30 CET 2020]
Parameter: music = y
Parameter: unsorted = y
Parameter: artwork = y
Parameter: subtitles = eng
Parameter: skipExtract = y
Parameter: excludeList = .excludes
Argument[0]: /volume1/NAS/Incoming
Use excludes: /volume1/MediaServer/.excludes (0)
Ignore system path: /volume1/NAS/Incoming/The.Simpsons.S32E07.WEB.h264-BAE[rarbg]/@eaDir
Input: /volume1/NAS/Incoming/Boss.Level.2020.1080p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H264-FGT/Boss.Level.2020.1080p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H264-FGT.mkv
Input: /volume1/NAS/Incoming/Run.2020.1080p.HULU.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTG/Run.2020.1080p.HULU.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTG.mkv
Input: /volume1/NAS/Incoming/The.Right.Stuff.S01E08.Flight.1080p.WEBRip.DDP5.1.Atmos.x264-MZABI[rarbg]/The.Right.Stuff.S01E08.Flight.1080p.WEBRip.DDP5.1.Atmos.x264-MZABI.mkv
Input: /volume1/NAS/Incoming/The.Simpsons.S32E07.WEB.h264-BAE[rarbg]/The.Simpsons.S32E07.WEB.h264-BAE.mkv
rednoah
The Source

Re: Super slow execution on Synology

Post by rednoah »

What does Tools ➔ System Information say?

filebot -script fn:sysinfo
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
diegolm

Post by diegolm »

rednoah wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 13:04 What does Tools ➔ System Information say?

filebot -script fn:sysinfo
Only this....

filebot -script 'fn:sysinfo' --log-file '/usr/local/filebot-node/data/filebot.log'

------------------------------------------
I have to figure how to access that folder to see the log as it is not accesible from the synology file manager
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, if for some reason it's really slow, then it might take a while for it to start printing information. Also, note that each new task will wait for the previous task to finish, so you might want to kill the currently running amc task before starting a new sysinfo task.

It'll look like this:
diegolm

Post by diegolm »

For some reason I cannot log in via SSH so I rebooted the NAS.

I have discovered that my license expired 3 days ago by looking at the log, so maybe that is what caused today's execution to completely fail? Anyway this is not a new issue, It can take 15 to 30 minutes to execute...

Anyway I executed again the Tools ➔ System Information and 4 minutes later I still see nothing....
diegolm

Post by diegolm »

It took 10 minutes but it ended

I'm trying to past the log but it crashes the forum haha
diegolm

Post by diegolm »

Here it is, if I pasted this as text I was not able to post it....

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

diegolm wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 15:27 I'm trying to past the log but it crashes the forum haha
Please read How to Request Help for details on that.

diegolm wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 15:32 Image
Sorry. No obvious issues there. If it works reasonably well on my DS213J test device, then it should also work reasonably well on your device.

:idea: The SSL error is unique for you. Maybe it's something. Maybe it's nothing. IDK.

:idea: Your device is certainly on the lower end. If you only run FileBot and give it all your RAM then it should work. But if you have other services running (e.g. Plex) that also use lots of RAM, then your device will start swapping memory to disk which will then slow the entire system to a crawl.
diegolm

Post by diegolm »

I just renewed my license to see if that was the issue, cause It was not working at all, until this week it was slow but worked flawlesly.
diegolm

Post by diegolm »

So it works again, but super slow. I took like 2 hours to move like 5 files. I´m thinking that maybe this is related to the "physical" move of the files from one folder to another?

Is there any way to create the log with timestamps? That way it would be easier to pinpoint what is happening
diegolm

Post by diegolm »

By the way here is the log, I don't see anything weird...

https://pastebin.com/wt3g2pah
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

rednoah wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 04:28 Your device is certainly on the lower end. If you only run FileBot and give it all your RAM then it should work. But if you have other services running (e.g. Plex) that also use lots of RAM, then your device will start swapping memory to disk which will then slow the entire system to a crawl.
If your device starts swapping memory to disk then this will then slow the entire system to a crawl. Since the filebot -script fn:sysinfo is already super slow without touching any files, and since the filebot -script fn:amc is already super slow before it even gets to the part where it's moving files, I think we can safely assume that disk throughput is not your immediate concern.

:idea: Since your device has a limited amount of RAM, the filebot process will need to use a good chunk of that, which means you can't have other memory-hungry processes running when filebot is running, and vice versa, otherwise the OS will start swapping memory to disk (which is 1000x times slower than RAM) and massively slow down any process that isn't fully in RAM.

:idea: Lack of RAM would be my first guess. Could be anything though. You'll want monitor what exactly your device is doing when it's slow. Presumably, it's not just running filebot, but some other CPU or RAM intensive processes as well.

You can customize logging via the command-line like so:
rednoah wrote: 30 Jun 2016, 08:36 Print timestamp for each log record: net.filebot.logging.time = true | false

filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.logging.time=true