[Feature Request] Synology BETA package source?

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
xIntenso

[Feature Request] Synology BETA package source?

Post by xIntenso »

Hello,

Since I recently did a clean install of FileBot, and thus had to migrate to the beta version, I wondered if it might be a good idea to have a beta package source for Synology?

I know the Synology package center supports beta versions of applications by default (there is a tab for it that can be enabled), but I don't know how much effort it would take rednoah to make it work.

Still, for people who like to work with bleeding-edge software or those who need beta versions for fixes, and don't mind updating more often, it might be a nice idea to either have a version appear in the BETA tab, or maybe have a second source that we can add.

What do you think, rednoah?
hshah
Donor

Re: [Feature Request] Synology BETA package source?

Post by hshah »

I would be interested in this as well :)
rednoah
The Source

Re: [Feature Request] Synology BETA package source?

Post by rednoah »

Sorry, updating the Synology repository every other day would at least double the amount of manual work when pushing new beta packages. Similar requests like providing beta MSI packages and beta APT / DFN repositories are not planned for the same reason, and those would still come before a dedicate beta repository for Synology.

:idea: That being said, updating all the time would be nice if you're a developer or advanced user that is willing to report regression issues. However, if you consider yourself a normal user, with no specific broken use case that is fixed by a newer revision, and just want things to run smoothly without issues, then I would generally recommend against updating to the latest revision every day for the sake of stability.

EDIT:

That being said, the community is welcome to provide its own beta package source, akin to this. It's just that you'd have to update the checksums and version numbers every other day as new versions are released.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.