Limiting memory of filebot (java)?

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
ittayd

Limiting memory of filebot (java)?

Post by ittayd »

So it seems the java process for filebot uses 3.3G of my measly 1G qnap. How can I configure it to limit the memory, and what is the recommended size?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Limiting memory of filebot (java)?

Post by rednoah »

What stats are you looking at? What does filebot -script fn:sysinfo say?

The memory limit is always below physically available RAM, and it can't be higher. You can configure -Xmx though. -Xmx256m or higher should be enough.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You're probably using FileBot Node, which means FileBot Node will configure -Xmx to 80% of physical memory:

Code: Select all

CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 796 MB Max Memory / 21 MB Used Memory
:idea: The memory limit is 796 MB.
ittayd

Post by ittayd »

Well, it is killing my qnap... Xmx is not really limiting the total memory of the jvm, just the memory it uses for its own heap.

[~] # java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -Xmx796m -version | grep -Ei "maxheapsize|maxram"
   size_t MaxHeapSize                              = 834666496                                 {product} {command line}
 uint64_t MaxRAM                                   = 137438953472                           {pd product} {default}
    uintx MaxRAMFraction                           = 4                                         {product} {default}
   double MaxRAMPercentage                         = 25.000000                                 {product} {default}
   size_t SoftMaxHeapSize                          = 834666496                              {manageable} {ergonomic}
So it'll happily use 137GB of memory....

[~] # java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -XX:MaxRAM=796m -version | grep -Ei "maxheapsize|maxram"
   size_t MaxHeapSize                              = 209715200                                 {product} {ergonomic}
 uint64_t MaxRAM                                   = 834666496                              {pd product} {command line}
    uintx MaxRAMFraction                           = 4                                         {product} {default}
   double MaxRAMPercentage                         = 25.000000                                 {product} {default}
   size_t SoftMaxHeapSize                          = 209715200                              {manageable} {ergonomic}
That is more like it...

And I think best is:

[~] # java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -XX:MaxRAM=1g -XX:MaxRAMFraction=2 -version | grep -Ei "maxheapsize|maxram"
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option MaxRAMFraction was deprecated in version 10.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
   size_t MaxHeapSize                              = 536870912                                 {product} {ergonomic}
 uint64_t MaxRAM                                   = 1073741824                             {pd product} {command line}
    uintx MaxRAMFraction                           = 2                                         {product} {command line}
   double MaxRAMPercentage                         = 50.000000                                 {product} {default}
   size_t SoftMaxHeapSize                          = 536870912                              {manageable} {ergonomic}
which will use 50% of the available 1GB of memory

How can I control these options, other than editing the filebot script?
ittayd

Post by ittayd »

So I tried these options and it doesn't really help. Does filebot read files into memory? That may explain how it gets to 3.5GB of memory.
ittayd

Post by ittayd »

Seems like using XX:MaxMetaspaceSize helped the situation. Can it be that filebot includes many unrequired classes that get parsed? Or maybe static content in some classes that makes them bloat?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Are you doing anything out of the ordinary the somehow nobody else is doing? Seems to work fine for mostly everyone else, so perhaps finding out what's different in your case will give as a hint as to what to do about it.

At least for filebot -script fn:sysinfo it's only using 21 MB Used Memory so I guess we could do a bit of systematic testing from there, and see if there's any particular aspect in your particular use case that breaks things.

EDIT:

So what exactly are you doing? Just a amc script call via FileBot Node? On a large set of files? What's the command-line call? What does the console log say? How far does it get before the system stalls?
ittayd

Post by ittayd »

22 files . It goes past writing the inputs, warning the index is out of date, then stalls for a long time with high cpu and the memory jumps when it starts moving files.

I can't see how java anywhere users 21MB. Just the JVM is more. I'm using Java 14 from java-install
ittayd

Post by ittayd »

Can something similar to this be the culprit?: https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/ ... Order=desc

"The method reads the bytes from the InputStream to a byte array,
however, the GZIPInputStream is never closed explicitly. From my understanding, this causes the leak, because the GZIP decompression is done via JNI. Thus, memory outside the JVM is allocated and never released."
ittayd

Post by ittayd »

I've set every aggressive flag I could find. The process starts at 20% memory and grows to 35%. At least now it doesn't cause my entire qnap to stall, but takes forever to run (even while running interpreted, there are python applications that do similar stuff)

JAVA_OPTS="-XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:TieredStopAtLevel=1 -Xint -XX:+UseSerialGC -XX:CompressedClassSpaceSize=75m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=75m -Xshare:off  -XX:NativeMemoryTracking=summary -XX:MaxRAM=1g -XX:MaxRAMPercentage=70"
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

21 MB refers to the memory that FileBot is using within the JVM. The JVM itself does its own thing, but we have little to no control over, so not something you'd normally worry about. Manually tuning JVM memory and GC certainly shouldn't be necessary for even the most hardcore filebot stress tests.

:idea: The key hint we've got, isn't that something is weird, it's that something is weird exclusively on you specific device, setup, use case, set of files, etc. Because it works for me and seemingly works for everyone else. The next step would be to systematically narrow down what makes things work / not work for you.

:arrow: The first step is finding a simplified example use case on your machine that works, and then gradually add complexity step by step to find out when it stops working.

Test Case #1

filebot -script fn:sysinfo
filebot -clear-cache
touch Alias.1x01.avi
time filebot -rename Alias.1x01.avi -non-strict --action TEST --log INFO

Result Set #1 from my QNAP TS-228A (aarch64 with 1 GB RAM)

CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 518 MB Max Memory / 25 MB Used Memory
[TEST] from [Alias.1x01.avi] to [Alias - 1x01 - Truth Be Told.avi]

real	0m46.755s
user	1m20.938s
sys	0m0.781s

Result Set #2 from my Synology DS213J (armv7l with 512 MB RAM)

CPU/MEM: 1 Core / 127 MB Max Memory / 24 MB Used Memory
[TEST] from [Alias.1x01.avi] to [Alias - 1x01 - Truth Be Told.avi]

real	3m57.927s
user	3m50.890s
sys	0m1.290s

:?: What do you get if you run the same test?