Migrating to Synology from Windows 10

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
diegolm

Migrating to Synology from Windows 10

Post by diegolm »

Hi there!

Last week one of my hard drives full of my photos, videos and so on nearly died... :cry: (I think I will be able to save my data), so I decided to migrate my setup from my Windows 10 machine to a Synology NAS.

In Windows I used μTorrent to fetch torrents from an RSS, download them and then launch Filebot once each download has finished, to move the movies/TV series/Music to their folders and then download the covers and metadata. This setup works great!!

I want to have the same functionality in my new NAS (It's a DS220j) and after reading a lot I'm not sure which will be the best torrent client to pair with Filebot. As I mentioned I need:
  • RSS suport
  • Possibility of launching filebot commands after finishing the torrent. (About this I'm a bit lost with FileBot node.. can this be a replacement for this function??)
So... does anybody have any recomendation? :D

PD: I still don't have my NAS, it will be arriving this friday, so I cannot "try things" yet...
LightningRider

Re: Migrating to Synology from Windows 10

Post by LightningRider »

The default Synology package Download Station will handle RSS feeds, it will not however handle event driven tasks (i.e. running filebot when download completes).
If you don't need it to run immediately you can set up a scheduled task which runs at some pre-defined interval to call filebot.

If the above doesn't meet your requirements then I would suggest installing either Transmission or Deluge both have packages released by Syno Community. I haven't used either of the above on my NAS in a LONG time, but both used to have a run script on complete option and I'd be surprised if they've removed functionality.

Side Note. Download Station uses transmission under the hood and if you are not affraid to use the shell then you can manually set it up to do post download processing. Just note that if you get something wrong there is no easy way to fix it, and if the package is updated your changes will likely get overwritten with the default settings. I'd not recommend this route, but it is an option.

No idea what functionality FileBot Node provides, I've never used it... I assumed it was just a web GUI for FileBot and I rarely log into my NAS via the web interface.

Just be aware if you plan on using BTRFS filesystem then unless the source and destinations paths are on the same subvolume then you'll need to use a workarond to get instant file moves rather than copy + delete behaviour. See viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9630 and viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11592