DSM 7.0 Synology Package Center cannot be installed

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
kms6402

DSM 7.0 Synology Package Center cannot be installed

Post by kms6402 »

I recently bought a Filebot and wanted to use it on Synology NAS.
However, it cannot be installed in Package Center.
The error phrase is

Code: Select all

"The package file is corrupt. Please download it again or contact the package developer."
Currently, it is installed and used in Docker, but it is somewhat inconvenient.
I can't install it from Package Center, but I wonder if there is a way.
rednoah
The Source

Re: DSM 7.0 Synology Package Center cannot be installed

Post by rednoah »

Likely an issue specific to DSM 7.0? The package itself is certainly not corrupt since it's working for everyone else.

You could trying contacting Synology support to check why DSM 7.0 might not be backwards-compatible with a given pre-DSM 7.0 package. They might also be able to help you find more detailed error logs.

EDIT:
DSM_Developer_Guide_7_0_Beta wrote: Field Name: os_min_ver Earliest version of DSM that is required to run the package. The value should be at least 7.0-40000 after DSM 7.0.
:arrow: https://global.download.synology.com/do ... 0_Beta.pdf

TL;DR It's explicitly impossible for a single SPK to be compatible with both DSM 6 and DSM 7, so you'll have to wait for a dedicated DSM 7 package rewrite, which is not a priority at this point in time because most users are still using DSM 6.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
keepwalking

Post by keepwalking »

Now that DSM 7 has gone public beta I would love to try it out, but can't live without FileBot in my NAS.
I would second the request to have a DSM 7 version.

Thanks rednoah !
Tdoc

Post by Tdoc »

Just moved to DSM7.0 Beta 41222
So I lost filebot, if there is no update by the time I have to renew my subscription, well it will be tiny-media-manager with there new renaming system
Hopefully RedNoah will have the filebot node ready before DSM7.0 goes RC

all the best
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Tdoc wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 13:31 well it will be tiny-media-manager with there new renaming system
AFAIK, TMM is a Desktop application. If you don't mind using your Desktop, then you can always process files remotely from your Desktop via the network shares. Depending on your level of access and Linux expertise, it's also possible to manually unpack java and filebot on device via SSH, i.e. treat your NAS as generic Linux device.
Kopernikus

Post by Kopernikus »

Second that :-)

Also waiting to upgrade to DSM 7 until Filbot/Filebotnode is compatible
Kopernikus

Post by Kopernikus »

As my Synology 920+ can run docker containers why not do it that way :-)
I gues the official FileBot docker container is run through command line?
But I found this one: https://github.com/jlesage/docker-filebot who has an GUI, would this be a good alternative?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Kopernikus wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 08:09 But I found this one: https://github.com/jlesage/docker-filebot who has an GUI, would this be a good alternative?
Yes, running an entire Desktop environment on the NAS can be an effective alternative if you have a high-end device:
https://youtu.be/EVDVADEe2Tk?t=600
Tdoc

Post by Tdoc »

Hi RedNoah, you may be interested by that

For your info the filebot node task scheduler is running on my Synology every 2 hours smoothly (it was setup like that BEFORE moving to Beta, so it works under DSM 7.0 Beta 41222, thats nice !
For what I have have understood for other apps on github discussion, to move to DSM7.0 it is mainly an issue of right and access.
So probably the GUI for filebot node dont have the access rights, while the scheduler do have that rights ?
Yes I can use the windows version of filebot too

I use TMM as I want to be able to choose in which language the .info is (I speak several languages, and never watch something not being in the native language)
So a French movie will have the info in French, same for Spanish, english, Portuguese and Italian
and TMM tags subtitles properly most of the time, something that filebot according to forum can not do ? am I right ?
Kopernikus

Post by Kopernikus »

@TDoc

Interesting... weird thing is that after my upgrade Filbebot itself was removed but Filbotnode is still installed, but it's not under "installed apps" anymore, I didn't bother to check if it was working... but yes still working when executing my daily task...

@rednoah

Can you look into this? I also read it's mainly about access rights, same was with the Plex app, but I could be wrong, no expert here
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Tdoc wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 09:48 For your info the filebot node task scheduler is running on my Synology every 2 hours smoothly
Although it's not possible to make the SPK package work at this point in time, treating your NAS as generic Linux device is of course still possible. You'll have to log in via SSH, use curl to download the portable package, unpack the tar archive, create symlinks, etc. That's what the SPK does on installation. But if things are already installed, either via SPK or by doing it manually, then it'll likely continue to work. In the end it's just files on your file system after all.
Tdoc

Post by Tdoc »

rednoah wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 10:25
Tdoc wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 09:48 For your info the filebot node task scheduler is running on my Synology every 2 hours smoothly
Although it's not possible to make the SPK package work at this point in time, treating your NAS as generic Linux device is of course still possible. You'll have to log in via SSH, use curl to download the portable package, unpack the tar archive, create symlinks, etc. That's what the SPK does on installation. But if things are already installed, either via SPK or by doing it manually, then it'll likely continue to work. In the end it's just files on your file system after all.
So If I understand well, it is the the install and GUI that does not work, the core engine is working, hopefully it will be not to time consuming to adapt and get a compatible package
Being one of the first one to be on DSM7.0 is in my eye a selling point for new customers, and keep your existing Synology customers happy

It look like PLEX is already on DSM 7.0

Have a good day
Tdoc

Post by Tdoc »

Kopernikus wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 10:16 @TDoc

Interesting... weird thing is that after my upgrade Filbebot itself was removed but Filbotnode is still installed, but it's not under "installed apps" anymore, I didn't bother to check if it was working... but yes still working when executing my daily task...

@rednoah

Can you look into this? I also read it's mainly about access rights, same was with the Plex app, but I could be wrong, no expert here
Yes at least for now we are having the service running !!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Looks like some of the security features that are now enforced with DSM 7.0 were added with DSM 6.2 so we have something to test with there.

I've updated the java-installer package to possibly be more compatible with DSM 7.0 and up:
https://github.com/rednoah/java-installer/releases

:idea: Tested with DSM 6.2 only.

:arrow: If someone could test it with DSM 7.0 that would be appreciated. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. Should work, but DSM 7.0 might categorically reject backwards-compatible packages.
Kopernikus

Post by Kopernikus »

@rednoah

Just tried it with my DSM 7.0 --> invalid package
Tdoc

Post by Tdoc »

@RedNoah

To be sure, downloaded the java-installer-2.15-noarch.spk from provided link

in DSM 7.0-41222, go to package center --> Manual install --> uploaded the java-installer-2.15-noarch.spk
get message "invalid file format. Please contact the package developer"

hope this helps
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Does the package installer log give any details?

sudo cat /var/log/synopkg.log

sudo cat /var/log/packages/java-installer.log
Unless the package is really invalid for some reason, I can only assume that DSM 7.0 really does not allow DSM 6.2 compatible packages, which would be rather inconvenient for us...
Kopernikus

Post by Kopernikus »

rednoah wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 15:54 Does the package installer log give any details?

sudo cat /var/log/synopkg.log

sudo cat /var/log/packages/java-installer.log
Unless the package is really invalid for some reason, I can only assume that DSM 7.0 really does not allow DSM 6.2 compatible packages, which would be rather inconvenient for us...
Just checked, no logs where made.
I gues DSM 7.0 does not allow DSM 6.2 compatible packages
Kopernikus

Post by Kopernikus »

@rednoah

What would be needed to build a DSM 7.0 compatible package?
Node.js v12 is availlable as package on DSM7, so I gues (as for as I understand) only Java is needed.
And some secuirity adjustements? For the Plex mediaserver there's already a DSM7 compatible package (still beta, but working fine here), maybe you can ask there?
I'm no expert only wanted to help, if I can test something let me now.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Kopernikus wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 10:04 What would be needed to build a DSM 7.0 compatible package?
We don't know exactly, but you can follow what we have so far in the recent commit history:
* https://github.com/rednoah/java-install ... its/latest
* https://github.com/filebot/filebot-node/commits/master
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Kopernikus wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 10:04 if I can test something let me now
I've added java-installer-2.15-dsm7-noarch.spk which explicitly forces 7.0-40000 or higher, so perhaps it'll go at least a little bit further:
Kopernikus

Post by Kopernikus »

rednoah wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 12:43
Kopernikus wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 10:04 if I can test something let me now
I've added which explicitly forces 7.0-40000 or higher, so perhaps it'll go at least a little bit further:
Tried to install java-installer-2.15-dsm7-noarch.spk at first got warning "3rd party blabla..", then all seemed to be going well, but after about 30 sec I got error "can't update java installer".
UPDATE: tried to install a 2nd time and all went fine!

https://ibb.co/jRfyypx

But as you can see in the link above, it says installed 2.15, online availlable 2.13, is this correct?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

IDK. I guess you need to first uninstall and then install the beta package.
Kopernikus wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 14:48 But as you can see in the link above, it says installed 2.15, online availlable 2.13, is this correct?
That's normal. That just means the package repository is on 2.13 but the package you have installed is 2.15 which isn't in the repository yet.
Kopernikus

Post by Kopernikus »

Ok, cool.
Let me now when you want me to test Filebot/Filbotnode packages.
You can expect a donation (already have a license) when you succeed.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I've uploaded a new DSM 7 build for FileBot here:
https://get.filebot.net/filebot/BETA/

FileBot Node DSM 7 build is here:
https://github.com/filebot/filebot-node/releases

:!: This one won't work for one reason or another. The DSM developer guide is very incomplete (e.g. nginx reverse_proxy config, Task Scheduler API, etc) so this one will take lots of back-and-forth testing, if it's possible at all (without removing DSM integration entirely and just running as an independent web service like Plex does) to make it work as before.