How to get Filebot-xpra to work on ios devices?

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
ThrawnJL

How to get Filebot-xpra to work on ios devices?

Post by ThrawnJL »

I have been trying to install Filebot on my synology NAS so I don’t have to start my pc and use that every time I need to use filebot.

First I tried with Node, but I need more manual granular controls of which files I want to rename, and not so much the automation parts (yet anyway) Also when I tested it only renamed one of the files in the inventory so I am obviously doing something wrong

So I decided to try out Filebot in docker and found Filebot-xpra which does seem to do the job. I got it up running and tested it and it all works.
Except not on my Timer nor my ipad which is the devices i use mostly for my media management. The gui shows, but it only says "connecting to server" then my ip and port and the a loading line that does not move.

Am I doing something wrong here? or is it just not compatible with ios?

Thank you all in advance!

/Thrawn
rednoah
The Source

Re: How to get Filebot-xpra to work on ios devices?

Post by rednoah »

ThrawnJL wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 22:05 I need more manual granular controls of which files I want to rename
What kind of granular controls do you need?

ThrawnJL wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 22:05 Am I doing something wrong here? or is it just not compatible with ios?
Possibly. Apple forces Chrome to use the Safari engine on iOS, and Safari is known to not work well.

:arrow: You may ask the xpra html client developers for advice:
https://github.com/Xpra-org/xpra-html5/issues
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ThrawnJL

Post by ThrawnJL »

First of all thank you so much for your fast answer! Very much appreciated :)
rednoah wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 00:33 1.
ThrawnJL wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 22:05 I need more manual granular controls of which files I want to rename
What kind of granular controls do you need?

ThrawnJL wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 22:05 Am I doing something wrong here? or is it just not compatible with ios?
Possibly. Apple forces Chrome to use the Safari engine on iOS, and Safari is known to not work well.

1. I would like to start saying that English is my second language so I might have used the word granular incorrectly, also I am very new to Filebot and especially Filebot Node so all I want might be possible, but:

A) I would like to be able to visually look chose files I would like to rename and then I would like to see the results when I search.
b) I would like to be able to manually chose which language for search in (I have made presets for that in my windows filebot)
c) I would like to be able to open filebot without having to login to DSM like with the DSMs own login portal makes possible for some programs.
d) Also I cant figure out how to rename the file without having to move it around
e) when searching I would like the popup that asks which series It is I want in case there are several with same name

Basically what I want is more manual control where the quite brilliant FIlebot Node is automatic if I understand it correctly :)

Thank you so much for that :) I Will give that a try!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

a) FileBot Node does not have a File Dialog (but you may be able to come up with rules ahead of time; or organize files in certain ways; so that Unattended Automation with FileBot Node can then kick in and processing different files from different folders in different ways)
b) FileBot Node does allow you to change the --lang option value
c) FileBot Node authentication and DSM authentication (if you are using the DSM package) is one and the same (even though you can open FileBot Node directly, that only works if your browser already has a DSM login cookie)
** if you're using the docker containers then there's no authentication by default; pretty much unfettered remote access; which may or may not be a severe security vulnerability if you local network contains untrusted devices
d) You'll want to duplicate (i.e. hardlink or reflink) files whenever you process files. Keep the original file path, and the new file path. You can have the best of both worlds at zero cost.
e) FileBot Node is fundamentally unable to give you interactive control of the filebot process. However, if you were to use an interactive shell via SSH then --mode interactive would be an option.

:arrow: It seems that "granular controls which files to process" is meant more along the lines of "i just want the Desktop application remotely" so the filebot command-line tool and by extension the FileBot Node WebUI (for the amc script) will likely not work well for your current workflow and way of doing things...
ThrawnJL

Post by ThrawnJL »

rednoah wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 09:34 a) FileBot Node does not have a File Dialog (but you may be able to come up with rules ahead of time; or organize files in certain ways; so that Unattended Automation with FileBot Node can then kick in and processing different files from different folders in different ways)
b) FileBot Node does allow you to change the --lang option value
c) FileBot Node authentication and DSM authentication (if you are using the DSM package) is one and the same (even though you can open FileBot Node directly, that only works if your browser already has a DSM login cookie)
** if you're using the docker containers then there's no authentication by default; pretty much unfettered remote access; which may or may not be a severe security vulnerability if you local network contains untrusted devices
d) You'll want to duplicate (i.e. hardlink or reflink) files whenever you process files. Keep the original file path, and the new file path. You can have the best of both worlds at zero cost.
e) FileBot Node is fundamentally unable to give you interactive control of the filebot process. However, if you were to use an interactive shell via SSH then --mode interactive would be an option.

:arrow: It seems that "granular controls which files to process" is meant more along the lines of "i just want the Desktop application remotely" so the filebot command-line tool and by extension the FileBot Node WebUI (for the amc script) will likely not work well for your current workflow and way of doing things...
Yes That is basically what I figured out :) and the reason I was looking into Filebot-XPRA instead.
ThrawnJL

Post by ThrawnJL »

rednoah wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 00:33

I have made a post on the mentioned github forum. They asked me to look at a guide on how to make a bug which I did and posted what ever Info i had, but this info does not even close to cover the guide as I dont really know much/anything about XPRA.

Is there any place I can find any info about the filebot-xpra they I can post on github?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You could paste the docker command-line you’re are using to run the container. That way the developers can easily reproduce the issue.

Test Case:
1. Run docker container with Xpra server inside:

Code: Select all

docker run --rm -it -v $PWD:/volume1 -v data:/data -p 5454:5454 rednoah/filebot:xpra
2. Open Xpra HTML5 client on iOS device and check if it can connect:

http://localhost:5454/

Here are all the related configuration files and launch options that are baked into the container:
https://github.com/filebot/filebot-dock ... aster/xpra
ThrawnJL

Post by ThrawnJL »

rednoah wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 15:22 You could paste the docker command-line you’re are using to run the container. That way the developers can easily reproduce the issue.

Test Case:
1. Run docker container with Xpra server inside:

docker run --rm -it -v $PWD:/volume1 -v data:/data -p 5454:5454 rednoah/filebot:xpra
2. Open Xpra HTML5 client on iOS device and check if it can connect:

http://localhost:5454/

Here are all the related configuration files and launch options that are baked into the container:
https://github.com/filebot/filebot-dock ... aster/xpra
Thank you so much for using your time on me!
I can see you yourself have posted on the GitHub forum.

Should I add more then you have already added ?
I am so out of my depth here about what to do 😳

I really appriciate everything you are doing to help.
ThrawnJL

Post by ThrawnJL »

So if I understand it right they closed my ticket saying that my xpra is too old 😳

How do I update that ?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, I guess the issue came up before and was fixed end of last month. So I guess the fix will trickle down eventually. Perhaps just a matter of rebuilding the container with the latest dependencies. Easy if you're familiar with docker. Hard otherwise. I'd just wait and try again another time. Without mouse and keyboard, you're not gonna have a good time anyway even if the remote desktop were to show up.

EDIT:

A newly build docker container is published already, so you can try that now:
https://github.com/filebot/filebot-dock ... r.xpra.yml

:idea: Clear all the docker caches to make sure it's pulling the latest image.

:!: Works for me... In the sense that something shows up. But it's completely unusable on my iPad due to screen size and lack of mouse / keyboard input. It also disconnects for unknown reasons whenever a dialog window shows up (e.g. file chooser) so we're definitely out of luck there. Works better with iOS Chrome, doesn't crash but pops up the keyboard on every click. It's just too clunky. I'd give up on this. The remote-control-via-iOS approach just doesn't work.
ThrawnJL

Post by ThrawnJL »

rednoah wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 01:10 Well, I guess the issue came up before and was fixed end of last month. So I guess the fix will trickle down eventually. Perhaps just a matter of rebuilding the container with the latest dependencies. Easy if you're familiar with docker. Hard otherwise. I'd just wait and try again another time. Without mouse and keyboard, you're not gonna have a good time anyway even if the remote desktop were to show up.

EDIT:

A newly build docker container is published already, so you can try that now:
https://github.com/filebot/filebot-dock ... r.xpra.yml

:idea: Clear all the docker caches to make sure it's pulling the latest image.

:!: Works for me... In the sense that something shows up. But it's completely unusable on my iPad due to screen size and lack of mouse / keyboard input. It also disconnects for unknown reasons whenever a dialog window shows up (e.g. file chooser) so we're definitely out of luck there. Works better with iOS Chrome, doesn't crash but pops up the keyboard on every click. It's just too clunky. I'd give up on this. The remote-control-via-iOS approach just doesn't work.
Thank you so very much for your help!

I tested it out and on Ipad in chrome browser it works ok :) I can use it for my normal use at least, also I do have a physical keyboard for my ipad :)
As for on Timer its useless because I can not move around the program.

I will try this out a bit :) but if not maybe I can install a Linux VM on my NAS with filebot in it. I already got it running on a raspberry PI as a test, though adding my NFS shares to the pi always takes me ages :O.

Again I so very very much apricate all the time and effort you have put into helping me :) Awesome support! Thank you!