Backup and Restore Settings under DSM 6.4

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
Predator2912

Backup and Restore Settings under DSM 6.4

Post by Predator2912 »

I want to update Filebot, Node and Java on my Synology with DSM 6.4, but before I do that I want to make sure which files i need to be backed up manually.

So far I have backed up the following files.
- Via rsync I backup all files from the folder under /volume1/@appstore/filebot/data/
- For the task scheduler I backup all tasks under /var/packages/filebot-node/target/data/task

And what steps or settings are necessary to continue without problems or in other words, how exactly I have to proceed after an update.

At the moment I would proceed like this.
- Install all updates
- Restart NAS
- restore backup data
- activate my license
- via SSH filebot -script fn:properties --def useExtendedFileAttributes=true
and filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.xattr.store=.xattr

Is this the right way or what would be better?

best regards
rednoah
The Source

Re: Backup and Restore Settings under DSM 6.4

Post by rednoah »

/volume1/@appstore/<package name> and /var/packages/<package name>/target are the same folder.

e.g.

Code: Select all

$ ls -l /var/packages/filebot/target
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 May  3 17:07 /var/packages/filebot/target -> /volume1/@appstore/filebot

You'll want to backup /var/packages/<package name>/target/data folder for FileBot and FileBot Node. The DSM 6.* packages store all the user data into the data folder in the package-specific folder. The DSM 7.* packages use the new standard user data folders instead though, so you will need to restore your data files into a different folder.

filebot is pretty stateless, so you don't need to restore anything there. You "restore" your settings by running your filebot configuration commands.

filebot-node is different though. You'll probably want to restore your prepared tasks by copying the files inside the DSM 6.* <package>/target/data folder into the corresponding DSM 7.* user data folder.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.