FileBot Node doesn't start on DSM 6

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileBot Node doesn't start on DSM 6

Post by rednoah »

What exactly is working and what exactly is not?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3368

You did not include any logs. If something doesn't work, there will always be logs. If you can find them, ask Google where to find them. ;)

DSM wrote:"failed to run the package service"
This message indicates that the package is never started. Presumably, no filebot code is ever called, so there is nothing that can be fixed here. Please ask Synology support.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
tedrogers61

Post by tedrogers61 »

Well, everything installs correctly as far as I can tell.

FileBot
FileBot Node
(your) Java
Acoustic ID
Mediainfo

When I run the Node package, I get the error I mentioned. Everything else reports as running, except Node won't start.

The log for Node is blank, which supports your point about it never starting in the first place.

Are there any specific logs you require from elsewhere? I can find them no problem, I just need to know which ones.

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Unfortunately, that does not help me help you. ;) You will need to find more information (i.e. logs) and then maybe there'll be some hints towards a solution.

* You did not include screenshots (so I can confirm that the package was installed)
* You did not include package log -> View Log -> Screenshot (so I can confirm if the package is started or not)
* You did not include curl -v http://<IP>:5452/auth output (so I can confirm if the service is running or not)
* You did not include Synology syslog output (so I can see what synology is doing / not doing)

This list is not exhaustive. More information is better. Google "failed to run the package service" and see if you find anything that might shine more light on the issue.

DSM has a "Log" app. Just click around a little bit until you find it. Otherwise check the Synology forums. I'd start by checking the typical Linux locations like /var/log via SSH first.
tedrogers61

Post by tedrogers61 »

Okay, I will try and turn my attention to all of this when I have the opportunity.

Thanks.
ward0

Post by ward0 »

rednoah wrote:Unfortunately, that does not help me help you. ;) You will need to find more information (i.e. logs) and then maybe there'll be some hints towards a solution.

* You did not include screenshots (so I can confirm that the package was installed)
* You did not include package log -> View Log -> Screenshot (so I can confirm if the package is started or not)
* You did not include curl -v http://<IP>:5452/auth output (so I can confirm if the service is running or not)
* You did not include Synology syslog output (so I can see what synology is doing / not doing)

This list is not exhaustive. More information is better. Google "failed to run the package service" and see if you find anything that might shine more light on the issue.

DSM has a "Log" app. Just click around a little bit until you find it. Otherwise check the Synology forums. I'd start by checking the typical Linux locations like /var/log via SSH first.
this might help people :

dant1 wrote:
I am having this issue with Sonarr. I only have limited experience with SSH but am willing to learn if you have any pointers to getting it working.

First, create a user called "nzbdrone". Sonarr used to be called NzbDrone, and it still relies on having a user account with that name. The package installer should auto-create the user, but that part of the installer isn't working properly on DSM 6.0, so you need to make the user account manually. Give it a random password, and assign it read/write privileges to your download share as well as your video share. Then see if the service starts up.

If it still doesn't start, try SSHing into your NAS as the root user and run the following command:

Code: Select all
chown -HR nzbdrone /usr/local/nzbdrone

That will assign ownership of the Sonarr/NzbDrone package files to the nzbdrone user.

Then try to start it up again. If it still doesn't work, report back and I'll give you some more commands to run to figure out why it isn't working :)

Link : https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=106960

Google is your friend for most people, Me i'm waiting for Syno to fix it in patch because i'm a lazy IT'r :)
tedrogers61

Post by tedrogers61 »

Thanks for your continued replies.

I briefly tried connecting via HTTP rather than HTTPS, and that didn't work either.

Logged in as admin. Full permission everywhere. Ports open on router. Syno Firewall off.

I also uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted - no success.

FBNode just won't start. Everything else reports as "running" (FileBot, AcoustiID, Java, etc).

I wish I had to time to devote to this, but I might just use other ways to get the artwork I need. Would have been nice to have it running automatically on the DiskStation though.
ward0

Post by ward0 »

tedrogers61 wrote:Thanks for your continued replies.

I briefly tried connecting via HTTP rather than HTTPS, and that didn't work either.

Logged in as admin. Full permission everywhere. Ports open on router. Syno Firewall off.

I also uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted - no success.

FBNode just won't start. Everything else reports as "running" (FileBot, AcoustiID, Java, etc).

I wish I had to time to devote to this, but I might just use other ways to get the artwork I need. Would have been nice to have it running automatically on the DiskStation though.
Do you have any Linux Exp. what so ever? Did you read my comment about SSH? Not http or https ( its the same thing btw .. just secured or not.)

You will need to use a black terminal and not a click click solution for this problem. Else use a restore and go back to DSM5
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Once again, visually describing how Package Center looks like is wholly unhelpful. :D

Logs, as repeatedly stated, may put some light on these issues:

cat /var/log/synopkg.log
ward0

Post by ward0 »

rednoah wrote:Once again, visually describing how Package Center looks like is wholly unhelpful. :D

cat /var/log/synopkg.log
I think many just hope it's like a windows application ( plug and play) or don't reply back :)
tedrogers61

Post by tedrogers61 »

ward0 wrote:
rednoah wrote:Once again, visually describing how Package Center looks like is wholly unhelpful. :D

cat /var/log/synopkg.log
I think many just hope it's like a windows application ( plug and play) or don't reply back :)
No, I'm here...just in work and not able to check any of this out. I need to learn about SSH. I have some tux experience. I'll try and get that log to you.

Thanks.
tedrogers61

Post by tedrogers61 »

Thanks for your help anyway...I'm giving up and using Bliss instead. It does what I need straight from the box. Thanks.
ward0

Post by ward0 »

tedrogers61 wrote:Thanks for your help anyway...I'm giving up and using Bliss instead. It does what I need straight from the box. Thanks.
I don't see how can you compare a music library tool and a sub title tool ...

http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-ma ... e-updated/
tedrogers61

Post by tedrogers61 »

cat /var/log/synopkg.log
Hi again @rednoah,

I've come back to this after some time away learning about my Syno DSM6 and using SSH etc. I've been able to get programs like Transmission and Deluge fully working and accessible on LAN and WAN; just to offer you an idea of how my abilities have developed.

Basically, I'm a lot more confident now, so I decided to give FB-node another try (hopeful that my new confidence would enable me to get it working), but I still hit up against the same problem, in that Filebot-Node 0.2.0 won't start.

Everything else (your Unofficial Java Installer, Node.js v4, MediaInfo, Chromaprint and Filebot 4.7) all install and run without issue.

To keep things simple I've done all my testing on my LAN. It is my understanding from reading that I shouldn't need any router / firewall ports forwarded / open from my Syno NAS on LAN. Outbound TCP connections from 5452 and 5453 (so that FB-node can communicate outside the network) should happen regardless of ports being open and firewall.

I've tried installing manually (download from your repo) for Filebot 4.7 and Filebot-Node 0.2.0, but I end with the same result.

I've tried to start FB-node manually via SSH by running as root and / or admin:

./var/packages/filebot-node/scripts/start-stop-status start
...but every time, via either admin or root SSH, I get the error:

initctl: Name may not be empty string

> > > > > MOMENT OF UTTER SHOCK ENSUES < < < < <

....WAIT! As I have been writing this...I decided to install it all again in a different order....AND IT WORKS!!!! This is inexplicable! :? :shock:

All I did differently was this:

1. Install Chromaprint and Media Info.
2. Click to install Filebot-Node (and allow the automatic installer to install all other components).

This is so strange that this should work now. I was really starting to doubt myself. I didn't even need to reboot the Syno. I'm also not logged in as built-in 'admin' user (in fact 'admin' user is disabled), although I am logged in as a different username with full-admin privs.

I've also been able to confirm that on my system (DS215j - DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 1), if I remove everything related to FileBot, and install it again in the following order, then it breaks and Filebot-Node won't start (no matter if I reboot, install manually, or try to invoke via SSH start-stop-status):

2. Install FileBot (and allow it to install Java and Node.js)
3. Install Filebot-Node.

...If I follow the above order, then Filebot-Node won't start, and frustration ensues. :roll:

Anyway, I'm glad I've been able to get it working (now to finally have a play), but it might be worth looking into why it installs perfectly one way, and not the other.

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

3. Install Filebot-Node.
I've tried this on my DS213J and I can't reproduce any issues. Works right out of the box.

You can't just call it like this. You'll have to set certain environment variables to call it as if DSM was calling it:

export SYNOPKG_PKGNAME="filebot-node"
tedrogers61

Post by tedrogers61 »

rednoah wrote:1.
3. Install Filebot-Node.
I've tried this on my DS213J and I can't reproduce any issues. Works right out of the box.

You can't just call it like this. You'll have to set certain environment variables to call it as if DSM was calling it:

export SYNOPKG_PKGNAME="filebot-node"
Re: 1...I can't explain it either...doesn't work one way, but works if I let filebot-node install everything for me.

Re: 2...thanks, this will come in useful should I need to start / stop manually. Is that the full command for both start and stop toggle?
Tbright

Post by Tbright »

Some update,

Now it installs flawless in a DS1515+, but failed to run on a DS215j

TB
tedrogers61

Post by tedrogers61 »

I found if you install chroma etc, and then install filebot node and allow it to automatically install everything else, inc. filebot, then it works perfectly on ds215j. Any other order of installing, and filebot node fails to run. Don't know why. Permissions? Working directory creation? No idea, but the above method works fine for me, and I've been tearing my hair out on this one.
gary1001
Donor

Post by gary1001 »

Hi,

For what it is worth, I am also having the same issue with a ds215j.

I'll read thought this post and collect the logs requested by the admin. I'll try the advice the last post first as a work around.
tedrogers61

Post by tedrogers61 »

gary1001 wrote:Hi,

For what it is worth, I am also having the same issue with a ds215j.

I'll read thought this post and collect the logs requested by the admin. I'll try the advice the last post first as a work around.
I'd be very interested if my method of installation works for you on DS215J. I spent a disproportionately high amount of time trying to work this out, so I'd be very happy if it benefitted others too.
Tbright

Post by Tbright »

This really puzzle me. As stated before, I own a DS1515+ and a DS215j.

In the DS1515+ after one of the latest updates (do not really know which one) the installation worked nicely just installing filebot node and let the installer do all the work.

On the DS215j I tried every possible combination of rebooting and installation order but the file bot node package simply refuses to start. I basically gave up because I thought the problem was model related but since you got it working on a 215j I will give it another try and see if I can make it work.

Regards
TB
gary1001
Donor

Post by gary1001 »

The install order did not make a difference for me.
Tbright

Post by Tbright »

No, I just tried the following on a DS215j and DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 1

1) Basically uninstall everything
2) Reboot
3) Install Chromaprint
4) Install MediaInfo
5) Install Filebot node

and I still get the "Failed to run..." message :(
tedrogers61

Post by tedrogers61 »

gary1001 wrote:The install order did not make a difference for me.
That is very odd, because the install order is very repeatable on my system. I can break it with wrong install order, or make it work with the install order I've settled on.
gary1001
Donor

Post by gary1001 »

I've ended up using a scheduled task to run a simple command

filebot -script fn:amc --output "/volume1/video" --action move -non-strict "/volume1/video/DiskStation_Download" --log-file amc.log --def unsorted=y clean=y excludeList=amc.txt
It actually works very well. What are the advantages to using the FileBot Node?