Installing on a Synology's debian-chroot

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
rpgmaker

Installing on a Synology's debian-chroot

Post by rpgmaker »

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if there is a way of installing filebot in debian-chroot on my synology ds213j DSM 5.2 (arm based). On debian chroot the only java availble is openjdk-7 so the most recent filebot that I'd be able to install would be 4.2 (if filebot can be installed with openjdk at all, which I'm not sure), from what I have been able to gather after 4.5 java 8 is required. Is there a way to do this? The packages filebot_4.2_arm.ipk and filebot-4.2-noarch.spk are available but I'm not sure how to go about installing them on debian chroot, if it can be done at all.

PS: I know there's a native package for the DSM which is the one I'm using now but I spend my time on chroot and I'd like to see if filebot can be installed there, even if it's an older version it would still be useful for me.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Installing on a Synology's debian-chroot

Post by rednoah »

The apt-get packages just happen to be notoriously outdated. Just grab the latest Oracle JDK. Download, unpack and add to the $PATH. You don't need to "install" anything.

Just grab the portable and then just run it. Download, unpack and add to the $PATH. You don't need to "install" anything.

If you need MediaInfo and AcoustID you can install the DSM packages and then just copy the native libraries into your chroot environment.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rpgmaker

Post by rpgmaker »

rednoah wrote:1.
The apt-get packages just happen to be notoriously outdated. Just grab the latest Oracle JDK. Download, unpack and add to the $PATH. You don't need to "install" anything.
Which version? Linux ARM 32 Hard Float ABI here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33151.html?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I don't know. Are you using a 32-bit ARMv7 device or a 64-bit ARMv8 device? Use your Linux skills to find out what architecture you're running on. ;)

DS213J is pretty old, so my guess is 32-bit. ;)
rpgmaker

Post by rpgmaker »

rednoah wrote:DS213J is pretty old, so my guess is 32-bit. ;)
Hey! Don't go trash-talking my ds now! ;)

I doubted because I'm not used to look for arm packages of things so I didn't know if that was what I needed for the synology but I went with the arm package I mentioned and it worked! Now I can do everything from debian-chroot. Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Don't worry, I have exactly the same model. At least it's got 512 MB of memory. :P

I just wish Synology would use the new 64-bit ARMv8 chipsets and add 2 GB of memory. Still waiting for a DS device with at least Rasperry Pi 3 specs.
rpgmaker

Post by rpgmaker »

rednoah wrote:I just wish Synology would use the new 64-bit ARMv8 chipsets and add 2 GB of memory. Still waiting for a DS device with at least Rasperry Pi 3 specs.
Aren't we all? I don't know why they lag so much in this regard.