Tweaking JAVA for resource sparing

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
devster

Tweaking JAVA for resource sparing

Post by devster »

I'm running FileBot along several other processes and it can happen that load on the system spikes during post-processing.
Are there some options or settings that can help keep resources used by FileBot (not just RAM but also CPU and I/O) as limited as possible without breaking anything?

With SystemD there's the obvious choice to limit all of the above but I wouldn't know which limits are acceptable.
For other systems more intricate methods with ionice, nice and -Xmx -Xrs or even more exotic options.
I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey. (Batman)
rednoah
The Source

Re: Tweaking JAVA for resource sparing

Post by rednoah »

You can use the nice command to run commands with lower or higher priority. If you set a hard memory limit with -Xmx then FileBot will error out if it needs more.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
devster

Post by devster »

Is there a lower requirement? I mean, is 64M of RAM, for example, enough to do anything?
I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey. (Batman)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Depending on what you're doing, 16 MB is enough (e.g. simple -rename -list --q command). A typical -rename command with series auto-detection and episode matching and a custom Groovy format expression will require at least 64 MB and maybe more. The amc script probably won't work well with less than 256 MB. If you process a large batch of files in one go with the amc script then 512 MB and more would be good.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.