Order of move and rename operations

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
h0dges

Order of move and rename operations

Post by h0dges »

Hello,

I have Filebot Node purchased and set up on my Synology NAS and everything is working perfectly except for one small, intermittent issue. For context I have Filebot configured to move and rename files from one folder to another and Plex is installed which watches the destination folder for new content. On occasion, Plex updates its database after a file is moved by Filebot, but before it is renamed! Then result is that the original filename is included in the Plex database despite the fact that the file gets renamed. I guess the solution from Filebot's end would be to reverse the order of the operations. I.e. rename then move.

Any ideas/suggestions? Has anyone else suffered from this?

Cheers
rednoah
The Source

Re: Order of move and rename operations

Post by rednoah »

Note that as far as computers are concerned, "move" and "rename" are exactly the same operation, so FileBot does NOT move and then rename, it simply moves from /A/B/C to /X/Y/Z in one atomic operation.

There's something going on that makes Plex not work well, but it's not what you think, so it must be something else. Further research is needed.

A simple solution may be to explicitly tell Plex to rescan it's library properly after FileBot is done, instead of using filesystem watch services:
rednoah wrote: 01 Aug 2012, 13:04 --def plex=host:token Tell the given Plex instance to rescan it's library. Plex Home instances require an authentication token.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.