[Windows] How to use FileBot with FreeCommander

Running FileBot from the console, Groovy scripting, shell scripts, etc
N3asu

[Windows] How to use FileBot with FreeCommander

Post by N3asu »

Hi guys,
the following will show you how to use FileBot in combination with FreeCommander, so you will be able to just select a bunch of files, hit a hotkey, and BOOM, have them in FileBot!

For the start, when you are reading this, I'm assuming, that you are familiar with FileBot, its purpose and its usage ;), so let's head on to FreeCommander.
FreeCommander is a Windows Explorer alternative inspired by the good old TotalCommander. It has many features that make it superior to the Explorer and I would really recommend it.
If you want to find out more, visit the official website.

One of the features of FreeCommander is, that you can add your favorite programs, to a toolbar and assign them hotkeys.

Are you still with me? OK, let's get started!

1. Download and install FreeCommander
Download and install FreeCommander if you haven't already. The Download can be found here.

2. Open the "Define favorite toolbars"-Dialog
Now that you have installed and hopefully launched FreeCommander, you have to open the dialog to edit you favorite tools.
You can do this by simply pressing Ctrl+Shift+Y, or you go the hard way, which means Menu Bar > Tools > Favorite Tools > Favorite tools edit...
When a dialog with a title like in this step's headline appears you have succeeded!

3. Create a new Toolbar
Now, on the left side, you should see two empty listboxes. First you have to add a new toolbar, do this by clicking the icon with the green plus, of the upper one of the two listboxes
Just give it a nice name and then you are done with this step.

4. Create a new tool in your toolbar!
Well now that you have your toolbar you can now add a tool to it. So let us add FileBot!
To add a new tool click the same green-plus-icon like before just on the lower listbox and give the child a name. "FileBot" seems nice and fitting!
You can also add categories to your toolbar, but I will leave out on this here. You can do this at home and show to the class tomorrow.
So just leave Category as it is.

Now the first important thing: The program to use. Use here the path to the filebot.launcher.exe.
e.g.

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\FileBot\filebot.launcher.exe
Here is where the magic happens: The parameters.

Code: Select all

--mode rename %ActivSel%
This will launch FileBot in rename mode with the currently selected items, without any annoying command line window.

To let the tool have the same icon as FileBot, give it the path to your FileBot exe in the icon area.
Down below you can assign your new tool to a hotkey.

5. Enjoy yourself
You have done a pretty good job here! Have yourself a cup of coffee or tea or whatever you want.

I hope that I helped you to save some clicks during your FileBot activities.
And also I want to say that FreeCommander holds yet way more features and is really worth a closer look.

- N3asu
Last edited by N3asu on 13 Sep 2015, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
rednoah
The Source

Re: [Windows] How to use FileBot with FreeCommander

Post by rednoah »

I'd recommend using filebot.launcher.exe instead of javaw.exe -jar because the latter doesn't set all the Windows-specific settings.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
N3asu

Post by N3asu »

Well, that shortens it a bit. Edit is on its way.
markmarz

Post by markmarz »

--mode rename %ActivSel%

.. raises this error:
Jun 01, 2016 11:39:15 AM net.filebot.Main main
SEVERE: Error during startup: Illegal mode: rename
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal mode: rename
at net.filebot.Main.startUserInterface(Main.java:190)
at net.filebot.Main.lambda$main$0(Main.java:126)

I've found just this:
%ActivSel%

instead of:
--mode rename %ActivSel%

does the job.

- Mark M
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I think --mode might just be case-sensitive, so "Rename" and not "rename" for single panel mode.
markmarz

Post by markmarz »

You're right that either of:

--mode Rename %ActivSel%
%ActivSel%

work the same. Don't know what you mean by single panel mode; the GUI appears as always with an Original Files panel on the left and New Names on the right.

Also it's interesting that selecting a folder brings up FileBot without anything in the Original Files. A single or multiple files can be selected and properly appear, but not a folder and its contents.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

By "single panel" I mean it starts in a specific mode and there no panel list on the left-hand side.

Passing paths via the command line is the same as dropping them, so it'll work for folders as well. ActiveSel probably only works for selected files. There might be other variables though.