[DOCS] FileBot Fundamentals

Running FileBot from the console, Groovy scripting, shell scripts, etc
VectorOne

[DOCS] FileBot Fundamentals

Post by VectorOne »

Greetings,
I am having difficulty determining a number of things with filebot, by just browsing the forum. Is there a HELP file somewhere that describes any of the following:

1. Where are the scripts stored, in what format(plain text?), and what is their file naming convention(if any)?
2. I see things in the form with {value}.. where is a list of these pre-determined values?
3. I see @ identifiers, how are these used with filebot in a windows10 .bat file?
4. Is there a reference guide for scripting, which includes variables, format masks, if/then/else and parameters and their passing?

Filebot appears to be a great program(just like ffmpeg), but the docs(if there are any) need work. Is there a docs file available?

I apologize for being a pest about this, however I am not keen on spending hours searching for stuff here when a clear and concise help document could be used.

Regards,
V1
rednoah
The Source

Re: Filebot Fundamentals

Post by rednoah »

:?: What is your use case?

:?: What are you trying to achieve?

:?: Are you stuck at any particular problem?

The built-in scripts that are called via -script fn:name are stored internally, i.e. no files in the file system. If you write your own local FileBot / Groovy scripts (e.g. as to avoid .bat scripting) then you can do -script X:/path/to/MyScript.groovy to call it:
https://www.filebot.net/script.html

:!: Note that most things can be achieved with one or more filebot calls, so you wouldn't typically write custom Groovy scripts unless you specifically want to avoid writing platform-specific .bat or .sh code for some reason.

Please refer to the Binding Reference for available top-level bindings:
https://www.filebot.net/naming.html#bindings

The built-in help includes usage examples for commonly used bindings and snippets:

The @file syntax is used for reading command-line arguments from external text files, as to bypass the complexities of Cmdline and Argument Passing when complex argument values are in the mix.

e.g.

Code: Select all

filebot "@X:/args.txt"

This will get you started if you're interested in the technical details, but it's mostly technical documentation for the underlying technologies, rather than a high-level guide tailored to the likely use cases of typical FileBot users:
viewtopic.php?t=10824

:arrow: Best to search or ask "How do I do <something>?" in FileBot Forums ➔ Episode / Movie Naming Scheme or Discord ➔ #custom-format and then learn by example.

:arrow: e.g. Conditional Structures (if-then-else)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.