Transfers Corrupt of Late

Running FileBot from the console, Groovy scripting, shell scripts, etc
MuddSkipp3r

Transfers Corrupt of Late

Post by MuddSkipp3r »

Hello.

I've been using Filebot for years now without much issue. I can't tell if my issue is hardware related, but lately my copy transfers to another machine (over a network share) have started to become corrupt in the destination folder. Not all transfers are corrupt, only some.

Is there a way to verify that the file is identical to the host file, and if not, retry the transfer within filebot?

Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Transfers Corrupt of Late

Post by rednoah »

FileBot does not perform network transfers. FileBot see only local files, and performs move / copy / etc operations on them. The OS file system abstraction layer will take care of making remote file systems appear as if they were local files to local applications. So the OS is taking care of everything, and FileBot doesn't even know you're moving files to another machine. What you're asking for should be taken care of by the OS implicitly, and FileBot is ill-suited to do so explicitly.

I would wager that the root cause for the "corrupt files" issue at hand isn't FileBot or OS file system abstraction layer related, because those things are commonly used and extremely well-tested (it'll work, or fail with an error, but never change file content on transfer) and each packet that is transferred over the network by the OS file system abstraction layer is surely checked and error-corrected as part of the network file system protocol.

:arrow: That said, you can provide a custom shell script as "rename operation" and then do absolutely anything there, provided that you can express what you want as a shell script:
viewtopic.php?t=4915
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
MuddSkipp3r

Post by MuddSkipp3r »

Thanks for explanation. I say corrupt, but what I'm observing are files with different sizes after the script runs. Once attempting to watch the files, there are noticeable 'skips' in content. This is what lead to my observation of different file sizes from what was downloaded and what is on the network share.

The machine I'm using is not very powerful. I will try to replace the CPU to see if that will alleviate some of my issues. According to task manager, it appears to be pegged most of the time. If it persists, I will look into running scripts. Will it be able to execute batch files in Windows?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You'll want to compare checksums. FileBot can do that. If the file size is smaller then it's likely an incomplete copy operation.

A network interruption would lead to partially written files. So missing data and not data corruption. Note that that would almost certainly give you a "failed to copy files" error on the FileBot side.

:?: What does the log say?

A different CPU will likely not solve intermittent network interruption issues.

Custom rename actions only work with executables. If you're on Windows, then Windows likely won't execute your *.cmd or *.ps1 files because Windows doesn't recognize them as executables on the OS level.

:!: Please make sure to post system information with every new thread. Answers may differ depending on the OS you are using.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.