New Filebot Update Through Windows Store Broke Context Menus (Solved)

Running FileBot from the console, Groovy scripting, shell scripts, etc
akk99d

New Filebot Update Through Windows Store Broke Context Menus (Solved)

Post by akk99d »

Hi, I had referred to this thread and had the context menus working perfectly:
[Windows] Explorer Context Menu Integration for Scripts

I wanted to support the Filebot team, so I purchased the Filebot v4.7.7.0 through the Windows Store. However, when I purchased the app through Windows Store, the default installation directory

Code: Select all

C:\WindowsApps\Filebot
has permissions locked down like crazy.

After figuring that I can use Start Menu > Apps & Features > Filebot to move to the D: drive, the new dir is

Code: Select all

D:\WindowsApps\Filebot
This successfully mitigated all the problematic permissions and the context menus worked just as before. Here is a step-by-step for moving a Windows Store app:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/move-insta ... indows-10/

I needlessly complicated everything at first, but moving the Filebot install to the D: drive was the only required solution.

Just a PSA for those of you using context menus and purchasing/upgrading Filebot from Windows Store - Windows 10. Mods, feel free to move this thread as necessary.
rednoah
The Source

Re: New Filebot Update Through Windows Store Broke Context Menus (Solved)

Post by rednoah »

The context menu just calls "filebot" so as long as it's in the %PATH% it doesn't matter where you have the application files. The Store locks application files because you're not supposed to access them directly.

So regardless of where the files are, there'll always be a link in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps which is in the %PATH% by default which means it'll always just work.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.