Any way to make extension: override the default?

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
Fr0ntier3

Any way to make extension: override the default?

Post by Fr0ntier3 »

I seem to remember something about not being able to script extension override when I was looking into automating filebot. But I'm currently just using the windows application and every time I open it to rename some shows I have to manually go in and select override because I want all my extensions to be the same thing. Is there any way to make the windows application default to override? Or set it in the .ini file or something?

Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Re: Any way to make extension: override the default?

Post by rednoah »

This is a child-safety feature that was added on purpose. New users would routinely activate Extension: Override and then forget about it and then be very displeased when FileBot "destroys their files" by stripping extensions, thinking this is default behaviour, not knowing it's a setting the explicitly activated.

That's why FileBot will no longer remember and restore this particular setting, and makes you explicitly activate it every time you need it. Presumably this is quite a rare use case. Changing file extensions is rarely necessary. Why would they be wrong in the first place?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Fr0ntier3

Post by Fr0ntier3 »

They aren't wrong, I just like them to all be the same thing, since functionally it doesn't matter if it says .avi or .mp4 or .mkv because they are all run by the same program. It's just a dumb idiosyncrasy of mine. I understand the child proofing reason, wish there was a way via command line or .ini file to set it. Would still make sense under the child proofing concept since you'd have to research and understand what you were doing in order to turn it on.

Thanks for the reply
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, if you're using the CLI then there's plenty of options.

-exec could be used to fix up the extension via your own shell script after processing:
viewtopic.php?t=11078

--action could be used to use a custom rename action which then takes care of fixing up the extension however you set fit alongside moving / copying the file:
viewtopic.php?t=4915
Fr0ntier3

Post by Fr0ntier3 »

huh, interesting. I looked all over for this type of information when I was trying to automate this in my synology. I'll read up on those links. Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can click all the links here for dedicated threads and detailed help on individual options:
https://www.filebot.net/cli.html#arguments