Plex does not use the file name as display name

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
gplans

Plex does not use the file name as display name

Post by gplans »

I have changed a TV series of names. The file name has been changed but it seems the tag name has not. Is there way to alter this?

rednoah
The Source

Re: Filbot Changed Name but Not

Post by rednoah »

Make sure to Disable Local Media Assets for all your media libraries to make Plex not give preference to the embedded media title.
rednoah wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 20:43 :arrow: You can make Plex display nice titles, and not the embedded media title, by disabling Local Media Assets and moving it to the bottom for all your libraries.

Blind_Watchman wrote: Are you using the new Plex TV Series agent? If so, local media asset settings are in the library settings itself (Manage Library > Edit > Advanced > Prefer local metadata).
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
gplans

Re: Plex does not use the file name as display name

Post by gplans »

I made the change. At first nothing happened. I removed the files and put them back and all the name were nice file names but they all changed back to the embedded file names. I repeated the steps without success. Can Filebot change the embedded file name?

Cheers
rednoah
The Source

Re: Plex does not use the file name as display name

Post by rednoah »

gplans wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 19:17 Can Filebot change the embedded file name?
Yes, but you shouldn't unless you know exactly what you're doing, and are somewhat familiar with the necessary command-line tools:
viewtopic.php?p=47434#p47434

:arrow: Plex decides what to display in the Plex UI. You'll want to configure Plex to just display the file names, and if you have trouble with that, ask the Plex Community what settings you need to change and things you need to do for those settings to take effect, e.g. perhaps the The Plex Dance ™ will do.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.