Where does the GROUP tag come from?

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
Killavolt

Where does the GROUP tag come from?

Post by Killavolt »

in the movie file itself....where is filebot getting that information?

Is there a tag in mkv/avi/mpg/mp4 files for "group"??
rednoah
The Source

Re: Where does the GROUP tag come from?

Post by rednoah »

:?: What does the MediaInfo Inspector say for the file at hand?

:idea: {group} is primarily based on the current file name. There is no dedicated MediaInfo property, but FileBot may be able to match the group name from xattr original file name, MediaInfo media title property, etc, even if it's not in the current file name.

:idea: Here's how {group} works in general:
viewtopic.php?t=4

EDIT:

:arrow: We've added a [DOCS] Filename-based Bindings page.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Killavolt

Post by Killavolt »

so would there be a way to remove that information from the actual movie file itself?

As I'm getting my stuff renamed for my library, and specifically only my library for me and nobody else, I'd like to remove all of that group information and change any title tags in any file to be a proper movie name, so instead of "moviename.2022.(1080p).(x265).(1920x1080).(6ch)-[morestuff].-[GROUP].mkv" the title tag would simply read "MovieName"
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Killavolt wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 10:18 so would there be a way to remove that information from the actual movie file itself?
:?: What does the MediaInfo Inspector say for the file at hand?

Killavolt wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 10:18 I'd like to remove all of that group information and change any title tags in any file to be a proper movie name, so instead of "moviename.2022.(1080p).(x265).(1920x1080).(6ch)-[morestuff].-[GROUP].mkv" the title tag would simply read "MovieName"
:?: Why? The embedded media title is generally not visible. If you are using software that displays the embedded media title, then you can usually configure that software to just display the file name instead. No? What software are you using?

:idea: [FAQ] How do I change the media title property? How do I make Plex display nice titles?
Killavolt

Post by Killavolt »

Because there are a number of places where I may end up getting support from, for one issue or another, that are very much against the discussion/support of certain methods of obtaining digital copies of copyrighted material, and sometimes media info is needed be it in a log file or otherwise and if those sorts of names and tags come up that would work negatively against me.....

That being said, I would also like to have a uniform standard of my media collection both by naming and tagging, I have my MP3 collection sorted the same way and would ideally like to do the same with my movies and TV shows now, I tend to be meticulous when it comes to certain things.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:arrow: FileBot :: Write Embedded Tags

:!: I personally would not trust mkvpropedit and AtomicParsley to not corrupt your files. ID3 tagging for audio files is established, commonplace, mature and reliable. This is not the case for video files. It's not comparable, not even close. There is no single universal tagging standard for video files, instead there are multiple standards per container format, all of which are rarely ever used, so even if you have tags, most software won't read it. Tooling is not mature and might corrupt your files. Tooling will typically rewrite the entire file because tags typically can't be modified in-place. You will definitely want to take a backup or a snapshot of all the original files first.

:arrow: Please report back on how things went after you're done, especially if any *.mkv or *.mp4 files got corrupted.
Killavolt

Post by Killavolt »

My collection isn't so large yet that I'm beyond doing everything by hand...... I just went through renaming 169 movies/subs manually before finding filebot, and I'll do again damnit lol.

Most of my stuff is mkv, and I've tried for that as much as possible, but there are some older shows, and a couple of older movies that are in m4v, avi, mp4.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Killavolt wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 11:00 My collection isn't so large yet that I'm beyond doing everything by hand......
:?: What tools are you using to tag files by hand?

* If it's *.mkv files, then you're probably using mkvtoolnix one way or another, so mkvpropedit should work just as well.
* If it's *.mp4 files then there's options, and iTunes is probably the only thing that works well, by not using "standard" mp4 tags and doing its own thing instead.
* If it's *.avi files, then tags are generally not supported, though there's ways to add arbitrary data stream to the container, though there's no standard and support for that is extremely sparse.