How to rename by episode name and not episode number?

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
Hopelessone

How to rename by episode name and not episode number?

Post by Hopelessone »

Hi,

If I have a file that is:

Teen.Titans.Go.S01E05a.Ghostboy.720p.WEB-DL.x264.AAC

Filebot returned:

Teen.Titans.Go.S01E05.Double.Trouble

How can I instruct FileBot to Ignore the "S02E05" and match by "Ghostboy"?

Thanks
DevXen
Power User

Re: How to rename by episode name and not episode number?

Post by DevXen »

I would first try to remove the episode number from the filename. See if that helps.

Also Those a/b, 11 minute shows, can be difficult to name. as they often are listed online as 2 episodes as 1 full episode.
check thetvdb.com or tvrage for the show you are trying to name. to see if they list the episodes in a single episode format, instead of a double. cause if they don't list them separately. you won't be able too name them correctly with FB. and rather have to name them manually.
Hopelessone

Post by Hopelessone »

Yeah, I was removing those S01E01 from the file names, was a bit time consuming and though there was a way around this :(

I wish there would be a few formats that thetvdb would use for there a/b split ones too !

Ahh well back to the drawing board...

Thanks
DavidRTurner
Power User

Post by DavidRTurner »

Filebot only pulls data from the dbases and allows you to massage it; if the dbase format is 'unusual' then FB won't have much chance of working around it.

By 'unusual', I include these 'half-shows', which are typically entered as 2 episodes on the same day - Monsters vs Aliens is one that plagued me while I was first using FB...

Since some people record them individually, and some record them as a half-hour, you as the downloader need to decide what works best for you & your collection habits - and collect one or the other (if a choice exists).

As DX suggested, removing the episode numbers will work - without a number, FB should find the name.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could create your own complex format that would take each DATE of broadcasting 2 episodes, and re-number them as an A & B - but believe me, while it could be done, I doubt it would be worth the work (and, they wouldn't match the dbase numbers for future reference)!

You might look at a file-rename program to do the episode number removal - I like http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Screenshots.php - it's free, and although it looks complex, can do it well.
But, if you're doing just a couple of episodes at a time, even if for a couple of shows... it's probably easier just to manually strip the episode #s before running FB.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot supports generic batch renaming files as well. It's a hidden feature for advanced users though. ;)

If you setup the "Strip SxE" logic as your format then you can do that pre-processing step directly from FileBot in 2 seconds. :ugeek:

@see http://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2072
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.