Proper titles for all tracks from DVD/BD, like CDDB/FreeDB?

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
benoit

Proper titles for all tracks from DVD/BD, like CDDB/FreeDB?

Post by benoit »

When I discovered FileBot, I was hoping it would do for my ripped DVDs and blu-ray discs what CDDB/FreeDB clients do for audio CD: find a matching track in an online DB and rename files accordingly. Unfortunately not: FileBot only works if the original file name is close enough from the movie title. Don't get me wrong: FileBot is doing a fantastic job, but I'm in need for even more.

I can't find any application that would take a set of files ripped from a DVD/BD and set their file name correctly. The problem is that when ripping a DVD/BD, all files get the same name, save for a track number. This means that FileBot will not find a proper name for trailers, alternate movie versions, behind the scenes features, making-of and whatnot that happen to be on the same disc.

I suppose FileBot's developer and regular users of this forum must have thought about it before. Is it simply not possible to identify a track on a DVD/BD like is done for audio CDs? FYI, CDDB calculates an ID for a CD based on the number of tracks and their duration, leading to mostly unique IDs. The rare duplicates are easily handled by the user, much like FileBot suggests several titles matching a file name. It seems that a similar approach would work for movies and series as well.

Any thoughts?
Benoit
rednoah
The Source

Re: Proper titles for all tracks from DVD/BD, like CDDB/Free

Post by rednoah »

There is no such database that I know off. If at all you'd need to know some kind of DISK ID for each movie and link that to the movie metadata. Obviously after the file has been ripped there is no way to identify it assuming there is no metadata (and there never is, metadata is far from common for video files).

FileBot is about pulling info from online dbs and matching it to your files. I don't have the time nor the money to develop any kind of db. Neither for filehashes nor diskids or whatever, not that thought didn't occur, it's just a lot of shit-work to keep things running just the get sued at some point for storing that info.

What you're suggesting is far outside the scope of what FileBot is trying to be. However, I'd figure each DVD/BD must have some kind of metadata file that'll contain at least the name of the movie and so maybe you can make your DVD/BD ripper save things with proper names.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.