Using the embedded metadata media title in my custom format

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
Dyldawg

Using the embedded metadata media title in my custom format

Post by Dyldawg »

I apologise if this has been mentioned earlier - things got a little overwhelming as I am no programmer.

However my request is simple - is there a way to rename the 'mediaTitle' info through this tool?

Long story short, it is the 'media.title' or 'mediaTitle', according to the expressions in the tool, that is the faulty name giving me grief (It is a long winded title my DVD rip software generated).

So yeah...is there a line of code or something I can do in order to edit this info? (replace mediaTitle = {t})
rednoah
The Source

Re: Using the embedded metadata media title in my custom format

Post by rednoah »

Yes, you can just use {mediaTitle} as part of your custom format:

Code: Select all

{mediaTitle}
Both {media.title} and {mediaTitle} yield the same value. Using {mediaTitle} is recommended as it is a top-level binding, meaning it's faster and better supported then generically accessing an arbitrary MediaInfo field via the {media} binding.

:arrow: https://www.filebot.net/naming.html

I'm referring to using {mediaTitle} as part of a custom naming scheme. If you want to edit mkv/mp4/etc metadata, then FileBot can't help you there. FileBot does not modify files and thus doesn't support editing mkv/mp4/etc metadata. You can use other tools for that, but note that you'll probably need to use different tools for different container formats.

Most of these tools will be command-line tools, so they might be difficult for you to use. Maybe there's GUI programs that do the same job, but not sure.

e.g. here's an example on how you can use the filebot command-line tools to automate mkvpropedit calls:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5047
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Dyldawg

Post by Dyldawg »

I appreciate the swift reply

I just assumed this would be a common question, given that there seems to be plex support, yet my plex server is reading out my 'mediaTitle' name in the episodes menu.

Anyways, I'll pursue a batch or command line solution, thanks again :)
yodaspowart

Post by yodaspowart »

I had this same issue. Just change the order of the agent in Plex to not have local meta scrape 1st. Put it last
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:idea: Your original post does not mention Plex at all... nor the reason why you want to modify / delete metadata... People won't be able to help you if you don't describe your problem clearly. ;)

:arrow: If you're using Plex, then you can just move up TheTVDB in the list of metadata scraper and disable local metadata. That way you don't have to modify files or delete metadata, you just set Plex to not use it.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Dyldawg

Post by Dyldawg »

I came back to share my success - and indeed you were right in that all I had to do was change my order preferences in 'agents'.

I realised I didn't state that it was a plex problem - I just figured I'd have to modify the file properties themselves and I couldn't solve this via Plex! Plus my best worded google search took me here :P

So, for anybody who may find themselves here with the same or similar problem...(meta data producing incorrect title names)

...First off, having your stuff renamed nicely BEFORE scanning it into Plex is ideal. This Filebot tool was pretty good at doing that.

Then, change your Plex 'agent' settings, which is found in the server settings. You want your 'Local Media Assets' to be at the bottom, or excluded entirely (this could leave out other bits of useful information).

If you have imported funky names into plex, you will need to:
- Change your media directory so that plex can no longer 'see' the media.
- Rename your media to a nice readable format, as stated filebot was great at this.
- 'empty trash' (accessed via right clicking the library you're having trouble with)
- 'clean bundles' (accessed via right clicking libraries)
- Re-add your media directory to the library, then re-scan.