Show name matching is terrible, e.g. Doctor Who (2005)

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
Antidamage

Show name matching is terrible, e.g. Doctor Who (2005)

Post by Antidamage »

Too late, I remembered that FIlebot is terrible and now I've paid for it. Oh well. Can anyone help me make it do what it's supposed to do?

1. Show name matching is terrible.

It can't match "Doctor Who (2005)" to "Doctor Who (2005)" without help. The same applies to "Animal Kingdom (2016)" - an exact match is not matching.

https://i.imgur.com/4ybIOX5.png

At a guess it's because your bad programming is trying to match the trailing directory slash into the name. I mean, come on. Did you test this at all?

On the other hand it matched "Kingdom (2012)" to "Animal Kingdom (2016)" without asking. That's retarded.

2. I have allowed it to validate illegal characters from titles from the same episodes multiple times. Why? Why multiple times? Why not JUST RENAME IT LIKE THE PROGRAM IS SUPPOSED TO?!

3. It's not DOING ANYTHING. I click rename and it freezes for a bit and then resumes working. Not a single file moves or is renamed.
kim
Power User

Re: Filebot is garbage

Post by kim »

Doctor Who (2005) s04e08
vs
Doctor Who 2005 s04e08
looks like the problem is the use of "(...)"

if either the folder or file has "(year)" it will not lookup with the year = bad in this case

if only "year" it's works, like so
Doctor Who 2005 s04e08
or
Doctor Who 2005/Doctor Who 2005 s04e08
I do not see a problem in CLI, maybe just a GUI show wrong order problem ?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Filebot is garbage

Post by rednoah »

Looks good to me. The first option is the correct option. If you just trust it to be correct every single time, then you can either hit ENTER to just confirm without looking at it, or toggle Image to Image to auto-confirm every subsequent confirmation dialog.

Alternatively, strict mode will also reduce user-interaction, but only work for relatively easy-to-identify files such as the ones described in the OP.

:idea: Animal Kingdom doesn't require confirmation because there's only one show by that name regardless of year anyway. Doctor Who has many shows with identical names for different years. FileBot will order them by match probability, but give you final say over the matter (if you're using Opportunistic Mode, in Strict Mode it'll just pick the first one).

It's not supposed to. If you're using Linux or Mac, you may want to keep them, or not, depending on the situation and target filesystem. Default formats such as {plex} take care of potentially invalid character preemptively though. I recommend using the {plex} format if you're new to media management for Plex or Kodi since it'll implicitly make file paths Windows-compatible alongside lots of other cleanup operations you're likely gonna want.

No idea. Further research is needed.

* What are exactly are you doing?
* What's the target file system?
* What Rename action are you performing? Move? Copy?
* Local hard drive or remote network share? (if something freezes, then 99% of the time it's a remote filesystem that doesn't respond due to network issues)
* Have you tried renaming files on your Desktop (i.e. local files) to narrow down if it's a FileBot issue or a Windows network filesystem issue?
* Is there an error message in the log?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.