theburk

Removal of links after keeplink

Post by theburk »

Hi!

Thanks for a wonderful little program!

Im using Filebot on my synology with couchpotato and showrss

I download into /download/Series
And /download/Movies

and run 2 diffrent filebot scripts as cronjobs one for movies and one for series ..

But to skip extra disk writes with --action move
I changed into --action keeplink

Thing is that means everything stays in the download folder and clean doesnt remove the old files .. is there a way to make clean do a rm -r of the old dir? Or even just break the link?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Removal of links after keeplink

Post by rednoah »

Why would --action move cause disk writes?

--action keeplink causes at least as many disk writes because "keeplink" is actually "move" followed by "symlink" so you gain absolutely nothing if you want to minimize disk writes.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
theburk

Post by theburk »

So the move just do a hardlink and removes the old files? Ill go back to move then.. but i had problems with some directories not being removed due to dir names spaces and not standard symbols in the name..
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot asks the operating system to do a "move" operation and if the source and destination path are on the same filesystem then the physical data won't be touched. If you're "moving" between filesystems then it'll have to copy the physical data and then delete the original file.

When creating hardlinks, the physical data is never touched. Hence, you can't create hardlinks to physical data residing on different filesystems.

i had problems with some directories not being removed due to dir names spaces and not standard symbols in the name.
Only the logs can tell us why something may or may not have happened. "standard symbols in the name" is most likely not the reason though.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.