Few suggestions

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
marioncobretti

Few suggestions

Post by marioncobretti »

i got few suggestions that i think make the filebot purrfect

1-Add an options menu to tweak thinks without depending on scripts.İn my case i want to overwrite the same files with diffirent versions (like re encodes) and creating nfo's and downloading artwork. but i dont wanna use scripts because i have a very detailed archiving system so can be a pain in the ass.

2-Add few other web sites and options for suıbtitles (like subscene or addic7ed) i got quite a few web dl releases and i cant find any subtltles anywhere.

3-Maybe a gui to write scripts.

4-I know that filebot uses some kind of logic to rename files and it works great.But sometimes someshows always asks me to choose its name (like daily show with ...).İ am thinkin that maybe a kind of log to remember this can fasten things up

Keep Up The Good Work.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Few suggestions

Post by rednoah »

2. I don't steal data, they don't provide an API, ergo they don't want people to bypass the website (which as ads which fund the whole thing)

3. Pick the Groovy editor of your choice

Personally I prototype with these two:
* http://groovy.codehaus.org/Groovy+Console
* http://groovy.codehaus.org/Eclipse+Plugin

1. and 4. There's GUI and there's scripting, and I don't intend to build something for in between. I don't see a reason why my existing scripts wouldn't work for you.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
marioncobretti

Post by marioncobretti »

well for
#1 i am a newbie.
there is not any complete tutorial for scripting (there is examples but not complete tutorial) and i searched the web for hours and it got really complicated.

i really like the foolproof gui you got.
and for example an option to overwrite the files i got when a better one is downloaded would be a good thing.
something like a checkbox.Maybe a tab for options to customize settings
And when you use scripts with this many preferences it gets really complicated.
I am not a coder but i am open to learn staff.
But with a (more) userfriendly gui ,more and more people gonna buy or donate to your software.even naming schemes are a headache to learn.with few buttons to choose your naming and folder structure can make it easier (an xbmc oriented preset for example).I bought your software over ubuntu software center.thats why i want this piece of code gets perfected gets to be known.
I pirate everything my os to my games to my shows to my movies and i am not looking back and regrettingcpaying this software.Named over 4000 videos in a perfect way.

#2 ok thats good to know thanks.if there is no programming interface there is no programming for you i know that much.

#3 would be overwhelming i guess with that many commands.
again i am not coder but if got it right its basicly writing to notepad and changing it to bat files right? ( from wikipedia
In DOS, OS/2, and also Microsoft Windows, batch file is the name given to a type of script file, a text file containing a series of commands to be executed by the command interpreter.)
something like choosing actions and creating a bat file can be done.(can it be done)
this thing would be great for newbies like me.Then there is flowcharts and other staff that can be buggy so thats that.

#4 Maybe i didnt write it in a right way.Ok here is the thing.The idea is if the logic cant find the exact match gives you matches that is close to it.ok for example i like daily show and download it every day.And i use your renamer to move it to the folder in my structre and rename it.while renaming it shows 5 diffirent matches.i choose one in the first day and the software logs it to a file that shows that this tv shows name have already been used and it matches that and this.renames it with out asking. :mrgreen: Did i mention i am not a coder before?So i am sorry if acted like a ignorat prick here.

For your hardwork an writing those thousands of lines of codes THANK YOU.Please dont see me like a spoiled child that wants everything.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Actually I am working on a fool-proof UI, somewhat equivalent to what AMC is doing from cmdlinem, only in my head though for the time being though. :P But there is certain things that a wizard like interface could do a lot better, but I've already opted for a more flexible-but-hard-to-use swiss-army-knife interface that in many ways is the exact opposite of what AMC is tuned for.

Try the old FileBot_3.5-portable, if they haven't change the site, the subscene scraper might still work. I don't endorse "stealing" subtitles though. ;)

With groovy scripting a tried to at least get rid of the Windows/Linux/Mac bat/cmd/sh/bash issues. I can write a script on windows and you can run it on linux. I guess there's some programmers that immediately know what to do (since it's just Groovy programming) and give them a lot of flexibility but at the same time I don't expect non-programmers to do the same. As long as you know cmdline basics (and everyone really should) you can just use my scripts.

That'd be easy, but you'd also want to be able to clear that? If you get it wrong once, it'll automatically be wrong always, and people may not understand that logic.

You could try this approach:
http://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic ... =280#p1135

Copy it into a .bat file, and then you just need to double click and do all the renaming. It's almost pure copy and paste and you'll never even need to use the GUI again for newly downloaded files. ;)

Using context menu actions is another option:
http://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic ... 1053#p6514

These things may look difficult at first, but it's not that bad and could save you a lot of time. ;)

PS: I appreciate length reviews, some of it may make it into that new UI :mrgreen:
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.