Registration have its own section

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
lbigtonyl

Registration have its own section

Post by lbigtonyl »

1. How about having the ability to register a copy of the program without having to do it via the RENAME button.
You have to first add movies/tv stuff, then fetch its info, then manually rename whichever ones don't get done automatically, THEN click on RENAME and
finally get to where you can register the software.
It would be nice if there were a button on the interface itself to register,

2. Have a backup method of offline register if the PC isn't currently internet connected.

The reason for these two ideas is I install a TON of software on PCs on a regular basis. Most of them are HTPC and don't connect to the internet but rarely.

These 2 things would save a lot of time setting this program and many others up.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Registration have its own section

Post by rednoah »

There are many ways to activate a license. The easiest way is to just double-click on the license file.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=61211

:idea: Double-click on the license file to activate it.

Understandable, but since FileBot is fairly useless without internet connection, requiring internet connection for license activation (as well as many other core features) makes next to no difference. Plus, license activation can't just trust your system time, otherwise you could trivially use expired licenses.

:idea: Use the command-line tools to automatically activate a license.

:idea: You can just copy & rename the license into the app data folder. Activation will happen if and when it's used for the first time. If you call filebot --license then the log will tell you the details about where a license is installed to.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
lbigtonyl

Post by lbigtonyl »

oh, one more thing. Have you thought about adding Thumbnail support?
On my personal computer I have several hundred movies. This is my normal process.

My normal process:

1 "obtain" movie
2 use a program called MP3tag to open all recently downloaded movies.
3 edit the tags manually to get rid of all the extra b.s. (scene info/who ripped it etc)
4 go to themoviedb.org and download the poster for each movie and use MP3tag to add the image to the movie's thumbnail
5 add the finished edited file with the rest of my movies.

As far as I know, only MP4 have the ability to add thumbnail images to the file.

That would save a ton of time to be able to auto add thumbnails to all the files. I've already done it manually for all of mine, but I could see that being a useful new feature to your program.

Here's a picture of my movie folder. It makes it very clean professional looking..

kim
Power User

Post by kim »

rename/copy the poster.jpg to folder.jpg = same thing
lbigtonyl

Post by lbigtonyl »

kim wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 01:09 rename/copy the poster.jpg to folder.jpg = same thing
Nah. What I'm talking about is actually embedding the image into the actual file's tag info. That way it stays with the file no matter where you put it. The program I use (MP3tag) already does that. Was just telling Noah that that would be a good feature to add.

example here:
Last edited by lbigtonyl on 19 Apr 2019, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot does not modify files and changing that is not planned.

There are scripts that can fetch all the artwork, including folder.jpg (which Windows users as folder image).
lbigtonyl

Post by lbigtonyl »

rednoah wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 02:32 1.
FileBot does not modify files and changing that is not planned.

There are scripts that can fetch all the artwork, including folder.jpg (which Windows users as folder image).
Renaming files is (Technically) Modifying. Since filename is part of the file after all.

I (know) it can already be done. I do it with the program I mentioned above.

I just thought that it would be a good addition to have that included in a program that is (for) media files.
Since many people do include albums/movie art in their collections. That would lessen the number of programs needed for all of this.

But Anyway, it was just a suggestion. I don't know where the hostility comes from, but I'll see myself out.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

No, file content and file name are completely different on the physical medium, especially if you're using remote file systems. A move / copy operation cannot corrupt your files, modifying file headers absolutely can. Time stamps change. Checksums change. Physical medium needs to spin to access the physical data, or network requests have to be sent. From how I'm looking at it, it's very very different, and requires different considerations.

It'd be nice to have for sure, but there's pros and cons, and the cons prevail IMHO. Optional post-processing scripts, that end users decide to use or not to use, is probably a preferable option here. No hostility at all here. Just making different compromises than you might. ;)
lbigtonyl

Post by lbigtonyl »

ah i understand now lol
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

This kind if request comes up once or twice a year.

If looked into it again and see if there's better tooling now. While I may have concerns conceptually, I don't seen any exist solution (apart from the closed source GUI tool you're using).

Do you know any command-line tools that could be used to embed images in mp4 files? That would be prerequisite for any kind of solution.