Filebot graphical issues possibly due to high DPI

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
bobsage

Filebot graphical issues possibly due to high DPI

Post by bobsage »

I use a 4k monitor and have DPI scaling to 200%. When using filebot, there is constant graphical overlapping glitches making it very hard to use. I've tried all the DPI options availible in windows to set on an app (application, system, system (enhanced) scaling) and the glitches happen no matter what. Not sure if this is just a bug in filebot or there's something I can do.

See example -

rednoah
The Source

Re: Filebot graphical issues possibly due to high DPI

Post by rednoah »

rednoah wrote:Q: UI is glitching. FileBot crashes on startup. What's wrong?
Graphics glitching all over? FileBot not working via remote desktop (RDP)? You may need to tell Java Swing to turn off Direct3D rendering:

Code: Select all

setx J2D_D3D false
The underlying issue is probably related to Direct3D rendering & graphics acceleration, and probably not related to high DPI mode. Make sure you're using the latest graphics drivers and / or consider disabling graphics acceleration for FileBot via the J2D_D3D environment variable.

:idea: Please post hardware and driver information for statistical purposes, so we can perhaps narrow down which hardware configuration is responsible for these kinds issues. It's a known issue, but extremely rare.

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6406
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
bobsage

Post by bobsage »

rednoah wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 04:17
rednoah wrote:Q: UI is glitching. FileBot crashes on startup. What's wrong?
Graphics glitching all over? FileBot not working via remote desktop (RDP)? You may need to tell Java Swing to turn off Direct3D rendering:

Code: Select all

setx J2D_D3D false
The underlying issue is probably related to Direct3D rendering & graphics acceleration, and probably not related to high DPI mode. Make sure you're using the latest graphics drivers and / or consider disabling graphics acceleration for FileBot via the J2D_D3D environment variable.

:idea: Please post hardware and driver information for statistical purposes, so we can perhaps narrow down which hardware configuration is responsible for these kinds issues. It's a known issue, but extremely rare.

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6406
Thanks a lot, disabling that option fixed the issue. It also fixed the same issue I was having with another java-based app.

Just wondering, will having this off affect the use of other java apps down the line somehow? I'm not sure how often Direct3d is used (or exactly what it is).
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

J2D_D3D is an environment variable that is picked up by the Java platform itself, so any application that is running on the Java platform and uses Java Swing / Java2D to render the UI will be affected by this fix.

:idea: Direct3D is used to draw the UI on the screen via hardware directly instead of via software indirectly. I doubt you'll find noticeable a performance degradation on your typical Java Swing application on modern hardware though.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.