[Bug] Unable to select file(s) on Linux

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
Mindreader

[Bug] Unable to select file(s) on Linux

Post by Mindreader »

Hello,

FB 4.8.5

After a SSD crash I had to reinstall my Debian 10 (64 Bit, Intel CPU) and due to this I also had to install FB 4.8.5 (was using an older version before)

I installed FB via the script

viewtopic.php?t=6028

Code: Select all

bash -xu <<< "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/filebot/plugins/master/installer/deb.sh)"
Installation was fine (the shortcut on the desktop was not created but selected but this is no problem, I created one by my own)

However the OpenFileDialog or FileChooser (dont know what you are using) has no option to select a file.
I can only select folders. In this version the dialog looks much nicer and bigger than in the older version :)

Java

System

Any idea ?
rednoah
The Source

Re: [Bug] Unable to select file(s)

Post by rednoah »

:arrow: I'd use drag-n-drop to add files.

:idea: You can also RIGHT-click Load to switch between Select Files / Select Folders actions.

:!: Unfortunately, the native file chooser does not support both file & folder selection at once, but it's much nicer in general, so an acceptable compromise.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Mindreader

Post by Mindreader »

LOL, I never tried a right click on this button, I tried right click on the files and CTRL-Click on files and button :D

Btw maybe you can add an eventlistener for right click (or mouse/key listener) in the chooser to toggle the Mode and reload the gui in the same folder. Maybe CTRL+Click would be an good Idea because multiselect of a folder is also not possible in folder mode :/

An additional toggle button in the folder is also a good idea but not alwas possible to add this in all choosers. Next good option would be to remember the last mode or add an option to select the default mode.

However, thx for your answer :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot r6907 improves usability by always asking you to choose between Select Files / Select Folders actions. That's Linux only, because on Windows and Mac this particular workaround isn't necessary.

:idea: Note that the Load button exists for new users only, and is really just there for decoration. A typical FileBot user will open a FileBot window and a File Manager window and then use drag-n-drop or copy & paste to load files into FileBot.

Unfortunately, on Linux, folder multi-selection probably isn't happening due to underlying platform limitations:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/546 ... orychooser
Mindreader

Post by Mindreader »

rednoah wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 13:27 :idea: Note that the Load button exists for new users only, and is really just there for decoration. A typical FileBot user will open a FileBot window and a File Manager window and then use drag-n-drop or copy & paste to load files into FileBot.
Maybe if you use FB on your normal local 2 (big) monitor high performance system and not on a remote desktop sometimes with a slow LTE connection on a 17 inch notebook ;)

Does FB has a "send to" function ? (as receiver)
rednoah
The Source

Re: [Bug] Unable to select file(s) on Linux

Post by rednoah »

1. Open File Manager, Select Files, CTRL+C
2. Open FileBot, Focus Original Files, CTRL+V

Very efficient. Requires only one program on screen / in memory at a time. Plus you can use your preferred File Manager.

:idea: The *.deb package will install a plethora of *.desktop files to enable various Desktop Integration features, e.g. such as Open with ➔ FileBot or Context Menu ➔ FileBot ➔ Rename, but your particular Desktop may or may not support those.
Mindreader

Post by Mindreader »

rednoah wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 14:34 1. Open File Manager, Select Files, CTRL+C

Very efficient. Requires only one program on screen / in memory at a time. Plus you can use your preferred File Manager.
This is awesome :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Mindreader wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 14:40
rednoah wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 14:34 1. Open File Manager, Select Files, CTRL+C

This is awesome :)
FileBot uses drag-n-drop and copy & paste interchangeably. All drop targets support paste. All drag sources support copy. ;)
Mindreader

Post by Mindreader »

As I said, this is awesome :)
All problems solved