Save (and preload) naming schemes

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
Ithiel
Power² User

Save (and preload) naming schemes

Post by Ithiel »

Hi Red,

This might take a bit of GUI tweaking, but I was wondering if there was any way you could add the option to save/load naming schemes.

I.e. Once you have a specific scheme in filebot, hit save and give it a quickname/description/category (and depending on how spacing works out, maybe a preview/example). Then, if you needed it again later, you can quickly select it from a list. This would mean people could setup an anime scheme, tv show scheme, and a few custom ones for specific shows or what not and not have to keep them in a separate text file to keep track of things.

I know there is a history in the drop down, but that's not the most user friendly when there is a specific one you're looking for (and having a quick description attached would make telling them apart much easier).

Also, to help new users get going (and to make things easier for those that want to tweak but don't know where to start), you could then pre-load the saved templates section with several common/popular naming schemes of varying complexity - this would mean that the majority of people are good to go straight away, and the tinkerers have some great big ready made examples to tweak. :-)

FileBot is incredibly powerful, and amazingly effective once you get it setup the way you want, but there is a fairly high barrier to entry, and not everyone wants to spend hours learnt groovy code. I think that if that initial learning curve can be softened a little with a few newbie-friendly concessions, it would go a long way to broadening the appeal and the usability.

I love the custom naming scheme I came up with, and its awesome that I could be so specific, but good grief that took me a long time to get right. Anything that would have made that process easier (or given me an easy way out by selecting a premade template) would have been a huge time saver.

This suggestion kind of leads into the template builder idea I mentioned a while back, and I guess it could eventually be expanded into that (as a user friendly template builder would be epic), but it is an important first step on its own as well.

Let me know what you think :-)

Cheers,

~Ithiel
There can be only one Power² User
rednoah
The Source

Re: Save (and preload) naming schemes

Post by rednoah »

I'll definitely add some sort of format template repository with the rewrite for that commercial rewrite (if I ever actually do that). ;)

For now there's copy & paste and this: http://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Ithiel
Power² User

Re: Save (and preload) naming schemes

Post by Ithiel »

haha, fair 'nuff.

Well, I've added my crazy naming scheme to that sticky for posterities sake anyway :-P

Whenever you get around to it, let me know, so I can start throwing money at my monitor ^.^
There can be only one Power² User