Feature Request: text search in episode list

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
disorganized

Feature Request: text search in episode list

Post by disorganized »

I have a series with hundreds of episodes, and FileBot mismatches a few dozen. So, I click on the mismatch, and "Edit Match", and then I have the option to select any episode.

...but there are hundreds of episodes, and all I seem to be able to do is scroll slowly down and look for the right title.

Yes, in theory I can google the episode title and hopefully figure out what season it is at least, which will narrow down my search to one or two pages. If I'm lucky google will even tell me the episode number.

But it seems silly to go to all that trouble when the information is already available right in front of me!

Have I overlooked a text search feature?

If not, could you add a text search/filter for the Edit Match window?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Feature Request: text search in episode list

Post by rednoah »

Thanks for the post! Before a real human comes by, please make sure your report has all the following points checked:
  • What are you trying to do achieve? What's not working? What have you tried so far?
  • Include screenshots, logs or filenames (i.e. demonstrate the issue)
  • Include System Information (i.e. filebot -script fn:sysinfo console output)
:idea: Please read How to Request Help and Fix Problems, Report Bugs, Get Features.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Please provide screenshots so that we can see what you can see:
https://snipboard.io/

:idea: Depending on the nature of the problem, and cause of the mismatch, different techniques may be more or less suitable to get the job done.

EDIT:

:?: Are we dealing with a specific tricky series? Are you perhaps trying to match episode files without episode numbers using the episode title?
disorganized

Post by disorganized »

Thank you. Here are the screenshots. I'm trying to use FileBot to fill in the episode numbers, since there are lots and lots in this series, and I only have the numbering from the discs.

https://snipboard.io/g5pFrj.jpg
https://snipboard.io/ZcotLX.jpg

(Thanks for the pointer to snipboard.io, I'd never seen that before!)

It's the second window in which I'd like to search by text, instead of having to scroll through all the hundreds of episodes.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I see. Looney Tunes is well-known for being tricky, but also quite uniquely so.

:idea: Match By Title works less well if the Title doesn't match exactly, i.e. "Old Grey Hare" does not contain "The Old Grey Hare" and thus fuzzy-logic will kick in, and sometimes not work.

If you already know that you're going to be matching files by title only, then removing non-title information from the file name might increase your odds:

Code: Select all

filebot -rename . --q 72514 --db TheTVDB -non-strict --action TEST --log INFO
[TEST] from [Old Grey Hare.mkv] to [Looney Tunes - 1944x25 - The Old Grey Hare.mkv]

EDIT:

In this case, your bad luck can be partially attributed to the folder naming, which identifies the file as maybe Episode 375 and maybe Episode 3x75 and Episode #75 Scent-imental Romeo just so happens to partially match that, and in combination with "Old Grey Hare" not matching "The Old Grey Hare", the numbers slightly nudge things the wrong way.

:arrow: You can use the DELETE key to remove bad matches from processing in the first round. I'd move all the easy cases into the new folder structure first, and then deal with all the more tricky left-overs in a second round after adjusting file and folder naming to help increase the odds in our favor.

EDIT 2:

FileBot r8343 now supports search-as-you-type for substring matches and not just initials.
disorganized

Post by disorganized »

Thank you! That was fast, and the new feature is awesome!

I don't mind the occasional mismatches at all, now that they're easy to fix.

Lifetime license purchased! :)