Rework the way items added can be removed again

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
Heldenhirn

Rework the way items added can be removed again

Post by Heldenhirn »

I think the buttons to delete items from "original files" window are confusing.
My Proposal:
- What is currently "clear all" should update the view as in: Remove deleted files from view / Add files newly created to view
- What is currently "exclude selected items" should clear all all items
- Add "exclude this item" to contex menu when right clicking on an item AND/OR show delete button on selected item
rednoah
The Source

Re: Rework the way items added can be removed again

Post by rednoah »

- Switching around buttons / icons is not planned since many users are already accustomed to how things currently work.

Heldenhirn wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 15:01 Remove deleted files from view / Add files newly created to view
- You mean re-checking if the files that were just dropped in still exist? You typically can't add files that don't exist, unless you add them first and then delete them on purpose before hitting Rename. What use case do you have in mind?

- Right-Click context menu is already used for the Fetch Data context menu. If you need to exclude rows or realign matches, then you can use the DELETE key to remove rows, and ALT+DELETE to remove cells.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Heldenhirn

Post by Heldenhirn »

- Switching around buttons / icons is not planned since many users are already accustomed to how things currently work.
What about the new users? You could use this argument on any feature request changing something.
- You mean re-checking if the files that were just dropped in still exist? You typically can't add files that don't exist, unless you add them first and then delete them on purpose before hitting Rename. What use case do you have in mind?
Yes, that's what I mean. Sometimes I add complete folders before I delete unnecessary files inside the folder.
- Right-Click context menu is already used for the Fetch Data context menu. If you need to exclude rows or realign matches, then you can use the DELETE key to remove rows, and ALT+DELETE to remove cells.
Under the assumption that the "clear selected item" now has the functionality of "clear all" the user wouldn't have a obvious way to clear a single item. This has more something to do with user experience.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Let's wait and see if other users run into the same issues and misconceptions as well, and then take it from there.

Making a video recording of the issue would help your case, but no promises there, not annoying existing users takes precedence over making onboarding easier for new users, though we shall strive to find a solution that works for all without compromise:
viewtopic.php?t=10881

Heldenhirn wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 06:56
Yes, that's what I mean. Sometimes I add complete folders before I delete unnecessary files inside the folder.
This is an interesting corner case. I've never tried this before. I'll do some testing with loading non-existent file paths into Rename to see what happens and what we can do about it.

EDIT: FileBot r8380 will now check each input path when Rename is pressed, and pass only the existing ones along for actual renaming.

Heldenhirn wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 06:56
Under the assumption that the "clear selected item" now has the functionality of "clear all" the user wouldn't have a obvious way to clear a single item. This has more something to do with user experience.
I mean the DELETE key on your keyboard, which may or may not be a more intuitive or efficient way of deleting items depending on the user and use case:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delete_key
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.