Feature Request: Add alternative titles

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
WhatTimeDayPlace

Feature Request: Add alternative titles

Post by WhatTimeDayPlace »

I would like to see alternative titles added in the file name.
These could be the original title name, alternative spellings, other names for the same film.

Like so:
  • Außer Kontrolle (1996) [Chain Reaction]
  • Der Retter (2009) [A L'Origine]
  • 8 Namen für die Liebe (2014) [Acht Namen für die Liebe]
  • Chloe (2009) [Chloé]
  • Coming Home (2014) [归来] [The Return]
  • Das Geheimnis der Indianerin (1952) [The Big Sky] [Der weite Himmel] [Trapper am Missouri] [Die Flußpiraten vom Missouri]
I am adding this as a feature request, because I found not way to configure this with Filebots existing format options. I might have missed something.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Feature Request: Add alternative titles

Post by rednoah »

{primaryTitle} is probably the most useful of the bunch since it's a single value, but if you want all known alternative titles and alternative spellings then {alias} (List type; basic info) and {movie.alternativeTitles} (Map type; extended info) will give you access to those:

Code: Select all

{n} | {primaryTitle} | {alias} | {movie.alternativeTitles}

e.g.

$ filebot -list --q 259943 --db TheMovieDB --format "{n} | {primaryTitle} | {alias} | {movie.alternativeTitles}"
Coming Home | 归来 | [归来] | {US=[The Criminal Lu Yanshi, Coming Home], IT=[Ritorno a casa], CN=[Gui lai], IL=[Lakhazor ha'bai'ta], SE=[Hemkomsten], PL=[Powrót do domu], AR=[Regreso a casa], GR=[Coming Home], BR=[Amor Para a Eternidade], KR=[5일의 마중], MX=[Regreso a casa]}
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
WhatTimeDayPlace

Great. Thank you.

The ideal outcome for me would be like this:

German movie title (year) [Original movie title] [Alternative German movie title if exists]
This formula gets close:

{n.colon(' - ')} ({y}){' pt'+pi}{subt} [{primaryTitle}]
{alias} and {movie.alternativeTitles} don't help much to get closer to the ideal.
{alias} adds the original title again.
{movie.alternativeTitles} adds alternative titles from all languages, not just my preference, i. e. German.

Still, this is already a big improvement for me to get the German and the original title.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can use {localize} to re-request the movie name with different language preferences:

{ localize.de.n }
:arrow: viewtopic.php?t=3761

EDIT:

You'll likely want to eliminate duplicates next, so here's a snippet to get you started:

{ny} { allOf{ primaryTitle }{ localize.de.n }.unique() - [n] }
WhatTimeDayPlace

Indeed, I ran into an issue with duplicates. KYC - Know your customer. 😂

Specifically where a film has been released in Germany under the original title: Psycho (1960) [Psycho]
With the unique part I get: Psycho (1960) []
Any way to remove the [] as well?

And if I may dream: For newer releases, the German title is often not identical to the original title but contains it.
E. g. Rampart - Cop außer Kontrolle (2011) [Rampart]
In this case, too, the original title is redundant. Can this be recognized?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Tested with the above mentioned movies. Switched to Language: German as default.

e.g. a bit intricate, but you can just copy & paste it:

{ny} { allOf{ primaryTitle }{ localize.en.n }.joiningDistinct(', ', '[', ']'){ n.contains(it) ? null : it } }
:idea: joiningDistinct for unique, filter, unwind-on-empty and user-defined separators
WhatTimeDayPlace

Wow. Just wow!
Works like a charm.

There are a few exceptions, where the results differ from expectations.
But these appear to be because of the database - TheMovieDB in my case. In that case, of course, there is nothing FileBot can do.
I am still providing examples in case I am mistaken:
  • Secret défense
    Expected: Rekruten des Todes (2008)
    Actual: Secret defense (2008) [Secret défense]
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rekruten_des_Todes
  • Stone
    Expected 1 (with alternative title included): Stone - In der Lüge gefangen (2010)
    Expected 2 (with alternative title appended): Stone (2010) [In der Lüge gefangen]
    Expected 3 (with alternative title first): In der Lüge gefangen (2010) [Stone]
    Actual: Stone (2010)
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(2010)
Thank you so much. This is such a time saver!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you set Language: German but get {n} in a different language, then that's probably because nobody has bothered to enter the German title into TheMovieDB yet, or because somebody entered the English title as official German title.

:arrow: https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/18940?language=de-DE
:arrow: https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/44113?language=de-DE

:idea: TheMovieDB links please. Because for the task at hand, TheMovieDB rules absolutely, and Wikipedia information is irrelevant. ;)
WhatTimeDayPlace

Just some more positive feedback:

I have been working through lots of movies now with the provided formatting rules:

{ny} { allOf{ primaryTitle }{ localize.en.n }.joiningDistinct(', ', '[', ']'){ n.contains(it) ? null : it } }
The experience is fantastic.

The only shortfalls are due to data issues in TMDB, so that is not really something that FileBot could fix.
(Except maybe a simple way to report back the problem to TMDB? Also as a thank-you-note to TMDB for their work?)

In my experience this formula is worthwhile to add this to the list of pre-defined defaults that users can just select and enjoy.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you have time, please add your use case to the How about sharing our format expressions? thread with your initial goals and solution / format / target file names.

The thread linked above is somewhat unorganized, but at least it's all in a common location, so it's good to have everything linked from there.