[Feature Request] Show info about already existing files

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
groovydrifter

[Feature Request] Show info about already existing files

Post by groovydrifter »

I use FileBot to rename and move in one step files to my Plex media server. After the "Fetch & Match" part of the process it happens that sometimes the file in the destination folder already exists, so it gets the mark of the red circle with the white X. That means that if I overrride the warning I will rewrite a file, but I have not idea if the file is Better than the existing one or worst quality.

I will like to have a more useful info about what is going on, I thought about some possible options:
  • Have both files automatically compared and changing the red dot for a Yellow one if the new file is equal or better (the program already has a comparation mechanism)
  • a double-click option over the New Name panel to show info about both files (name, size, etc) when this happens
  • Any other which helps decide what to do, I'm not picky :-), just want to avoid navigating a BIG network server directory to find and then visually compare both files when Filebot has already done that in part.
Hope you find this feature request useful, thanks in advance.
rednoah
The Source

Re: [Feature Request]Show info about already existing files

Post by rednoah »

The Image icon indeed means that a file already exists at the target destination path. If you process multiple files at once, then FileBot will automatically choose the better one, but if there's already a pre-existing one, then the GUI doesn't have special helpful behaviour for that. You can use Double-Click on items in the Conflict Dialog to reveal the problematic files.

:idea: The CLI has the --conflict auto option to take care of this use case in an unattended mode. The GUI doesn't really have an equivalent for this particular use case though.

If you want to have more information about a file, then you could temporarily switch to a different format that includes the custom media information (e.g. file size, resolution, codecs, etc) that you want to see. In fact, you might want to use a format with various kinds of media information anyway as to generate unique files paths for each unique media file, as to avoid conflicts in the first place:
viewtopic.php?t=4285

:idea: You can check MediaInfo from within FileBot for a given New Names item via Double-Click ➔ Image Edit Format ➔ Image Sample ➔ Image MediaInfo. However, there is currently no feature that would allow you to compare Original Files and New Names items side by side.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
groovydrifter

Re: [Feature Request] Show info about already existing files

Post by groovydrifter »

Yes, exactly. The Image tells me that I'm trying to rename and move a NEW file and that in the target place already exists a file with that name.

To me, that means that I have one, already sorted, and at least one new version of the same movie (series episode, etc). This can happen because I got a better version or maybe because I forgot that I already had that file where it should be (with 60TB this happens a lot).

The new feature I request is that when Image happens I have a simple way of knowing that, for example, I'm trying to process a file wich is 3GB in size and there is already one of 4,6GB in the target destination. Just both sizes will give a nice quick hint about the one to keep.

As it is now, I have the folder where the files I'm now processing at hand, but when a coincidence happens, I have to navigate to the file with the same target name to compare them. This takes time, and any hint given by FileBot (both file sizes, for example) would be appreciated and most of the times will be just enough :) .
rednoah
The Source

Re: [Feature Request] Show info about already existing files

Post by rednoah »

FileBot r8924 improves conflict resolution suggestions and adds a Media tab to the Match Details View (i.e. F6 keyboard shortcut).

:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.