Feature Request, UI Enhancements

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
arrmo

Feature Request, UI Enhancements

Post by arrmo »

Hi,

Minor, but - these two items would be quite handy,
- a display / indicator, somewhere on the UI, of the current format (i.e. Episode, Movie, etc.). To avoid checking it each time.
- a button, for Smart Mode, Automatic. I use this 90% of the time, so a button would be handy.

Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Feature Request, UI Enhancements

Post by rednoah »

arrmo wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 19:41 - a display / indicator, somewhere on the UI, of the current format (i.e. Episode, Movie, etc.). To avoid checking it each time.
A format can be multiple lines and thousands of characters in extreme cases. We could display the current format in the optional Media Details view I suppose. But you can always do Double-Click <New Names> ➔ Edit Format which isn't convoluted or time-consuming in the first place.

:?: What is your reasoning?
:?: Are you using many formats?
:?: Does the formatted destination file path not tell you at a glance which one of your formats is being used?
:?: Are your formats very similar?
:?: Why do you have more than one format in the first place?

arrmo wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 19:41 - a button, for Smart Mode, Automatic. I use this 90% of the time, so a button would be handy.
2 clicks seems very reasonable, because it's important that you select Mode / Database consciously with intent:
* Match ➔ Smart Mode: Automatic
* Right-Click <New Names> ➔ Smart Mode: Automatic

:?: Does 0.5s really make a difference? Presumably, many many more seconds are spent elsewhere in the process.

:?: Would another solution not make more sense? Perhaps a keyboard shortcut? Perhaps a context menu or folder action to process files without user interaction altogether?

Processing TV Shows and Movies separately is strongly recommended. This would eliminate any confusion that may arise from processing mixed content. It would also further allow you to automate things with Presets. Automatically select specific files (e.g. only episodes) from a given folder, and process them with a given database and format. All at the press of a keyboard shortcut.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
arrmo

Post by arrmo »

Yes, agree with you - and I do process Episodes and Movies "separately" (i.e. different formats). That's the reason for the request :D. I find that every single time I go to use the application, I need to check what the currently selected format is ... as I can't recall from the last time, where I "left" it. So just saying the format type (i.e. Movie, Episode, etc.) would be handy, to know if I need to change it or not.

Make sense? Not looking for the actual format on the main window, just the type ... to know if it's correct, or needs to be changed. A couple clicks to go change it is fine.

Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

rednoah wrote: 27 Dec 2022, 04:13 :?: What is your reasoning?
:?: Are you using many formats?
:?: Does the formatted destination file path not tell you at a glance which one of your formats is being used?
:?: Are your formats very similar?
:?: Why do you have more than one format in the first place?
rednoah wrote: 27 Dec 2022, 04:13 :?: Does 0.5s really make a difference? Presumably, many many more seconds are spent elsewhere in the process.
:?: Would another solution not make more sense? Perhaps a keyboard shortcut? Perhaps a context menu or folder action to process files without user interaction altogether?
Erm... not at all... you seem to not have answered any of the :?: questions... Perhaps you could take a screen recording and narrate your thoughts out loud as you are using the application?

arrmo wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 13:33 Make sense? Not looking for the actual format on the main window, just the type ... to know if it's correct, or needs to be changed. A couple clicks to go change it is fine.
:?: Can you give a format that is incorrect and describe the use case for which it is incorrect and thus needs to be changed?

:?: Can you give a format that is correct and describe the use case for which it is correct?

:?: Is the type of the New Names item not immediately obvious based on the target file path generated by your custom format? Yes, for me. No, for you? Why? How is your process different?
  • New Names says something like Alias - S01E01 - Truth Be Told ➔ It's an Episode.
  • New Names says something like Avatar (2009) ➔ It's a Movie.
arrmo

Post by arrmo »

Sorry, it's likely me not being clear. For example, if I have the following in the GUI,

Arrgh! Seems I can't include a screenshot (picture) or zip file? OK, let me try to explain better " ;)

Just thinking an indicator on the main GUI window would be helpful, to show the currently selected format "type" ... meaning, just say at the top "Movie Format". Or are these not "forced", rather they are all in use all the time? Perhaps that's my confusion.

Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:arrow: You can include videos by uploading them somewhere (e.g. YouTube) and then pasting the link:
https://youtu.be/7p7G5RiS3UA

:arrow: You can include images by uploading them somewhere (e.g. SNIPBOARD.IO) and then pasting the link:
viewtopic.php?t=13453

:idea: FileBot uses a different formats for different content types. If it's a Movie object, then the Movie format is used. If it's an Episode object, then the Episode format is used. Changing the Movie format does not change the Episode format and vice versa.

:idea: You can press F6 to enable the Media Details view which does expose all Movie / Episode match information, so you can easily tell which is which, and a lot more. If you've got screen real estate to spare, than that'll probably scratch your itch.
arrmo

Post by arrmo »

That works, thanks!!