[Windows] Suggestions for possible easy enhancements

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
JustaUser2

[Windows] Suggestions for possible easy enhancements

Post by JustaUser2 »

In my case, all episode files are in their own folders such as:

SeriesName (YYYY) [Sxx NTWK xxxp SOURCE TYPE]

Sometimes all episodes from all seasons are in one folder

Some things I would like to work (maybe there is a way I just cant find it) are:

1. Place on 'Original Files' screen a clickable link to your homepage.

2. Place on 'Original Files' screen (after a successful match) a clickable link or shortcut key to open the page on TVDB. Now we have to press 'F6' and navigate to the id, copy that id, then search TVDB for the series.

3. When doing post processing, any files that are 'fetched' need to go into the same folder as the episode files. Now 'landscape.png' goes there and anything else goes to the parent folder.

4. The ability to capture the text that is presented to you when hovering over the selection list, unless that is what extract nfo file is supposed to do. Cant make that work either. That file should have the name 'Series title (YYYY)'.nfo or txt.

Sorry if I have missed any of these things that are working.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Suggestions for possible easy enhancements

Post by rednoah »

Please describe exactly, ideally with specific examples and screenshots, your thought process and reasoning for each requested feature. Make sure to focus on the "why" and not on the "what" so that we can understand the problem or question that made you think of the enhancement in the first place:
viewtopic.php?t=10881

What is your use case? What aspect of your use case is currently cumbersome? How would a link to www.filebot.net be helpful?

What is your use case? What makes you want to open the database page for the currently selected episode or movie? What question are you trying to answer?

EDIT: FileBot r9596 adds a TMDB / TVDB / etc link button next to the Inspect ➔ Match ➔ Match Object field.

Are we talking about the Fetch artwork post-processing feature? What is your custom format? What is your input / output file structure? Please include at least one specific example with sample file paths as text.

What text do you want to capture? Why do you want to capture it? Please take a screenshot so that we can see what you can see.

I'm not sure how external *.nfo files are related to copy & pasting text from the Desktop application, but there is a Export NFO files post-processing action that generates *.nfo files.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
JustaUser2

Post by JustaUser2 »

What is your use case? What aspect of your use case is currently cumbersome? How would a link to www.filebot.net be helpful?
Ans) Well I could place shortcut on my desktop to your online help, but I already have 121 shortcuts on my desktop, one of which is 'filebot'. I dont recall ever seeing a program that didn't have some links, 'F1' or something that would bring up help or link back to the developer's website. A link to your online manual would be helpful.

What is your use case? What makes you want to open the database page for the currently selected episode or movie? What question are you trying to answer?
Ans) A link to "https://thetvdb.com/search?query=378995" for example, would be helpful so that I or anyone could directly open that web page and then drag that link to my folder.

Code: Select all

T:\TVseries\_DL\_NewIn\1\The Outlaws (2021) [S02 BBC1 720p iP WEBRip]"
T:\TVseries\_DL\_NewIn\1\The Outlaws (2021) [S02 BBC1 720p iP WEBRip]\_dirlst_220818-1201.txt               <-- History
T:\TVseries\_DL\_NewIn\1\The Outlaws (2021) [S02 BBC1 720p iP WEBRip]\The Outlaws - TheTVDB.com.URL  <-- Link
T:\TVseries\_DL\_NewIn\1\The Outlaws (2021) [S02 BBC1 720p iP WEBRip]\The Outlaws.S02E01 - Episode 1.mkv
T:\TVseries\_DL\_NewIn\1\The Outlaws (2021) [S02 BBC1 720p iP WEBRip]\The Outlaws.S02E02 - Episode 2.mkv
T:\TVseries\_DL\_NewIn\1\The Outlaws (2021) [S02 BBC1 720p iP WEBRip]\The Outlaws.S02E03 - Episode 3.mkv
T:\TVseries\_DL\_NewIn\1\The Outlaws (2021) [S02 BBC1 720p iP WEBRip]\The Outlaws.S02E04 - Episode 4.mkv
T:\TVseries\_DL\_NewIn\1\The Outlaws (2021) [S02 BBC1 720p iP WEBRip]\The Outlaws.S02E05 - Episode 5.mkv
T:\TVseries\_DL\_NewIn\1\The Outlaws (2021) [S02 BBC1 720p iP WEBRip]\The Outlaws.S02E06 - Episode 6.mkv
Are we talking about the Fetch artwork post-processing feature? What is your custom format? What is your input / output file structure? Please include at least one specific example with sample file paths as text.
Only 'landscape.png' seems to work. All other files if they exist seem to go somewhere else.
When i tried the 'Export NFO files' the program just seemed to go into a loop, never finishing.

What text do you want to capture? Why do you want to capture it? Please take a screenshot so that we can see what you can see.
I took a pic since cant be screen captured. https://postimg.cc/cvNRf01v
I am looking for a series info files, not individual episode nfo files (though those world be nice if available).

I am running

FileBot 4.9.6 (r9125)
JNA Native: 6.1.2
MediaInfo: 21.09
7-Zip-JBinding: 16.02
Tools: fpcalc/1.5.0
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2022-08-15 (r836)
Groovy: 3.0.9
JRE: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 17.0.2
JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 12 Core / 17 GB Max Memory / 83 MB Used Memory
STORAGE: NTFS [(C:)] @ 3.1 GB | NTFS [Page] @ 50 GB | NTFS [Programs] @ 170 GB | NTFS [New Volume] @ 338 GB | NTFS [New Volume] @ 2.0 TB | NTFS [BigStor] @ 164 GB | NTFS [RDSKARC_046-8TB] @ 2.0 TB
DATA: E:\Program Files (x86)\FileBot_4.9.6\data
Package: ZIP
And I can't figure out how to post or insert images
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot will give you a "Getting Started" tutorial on first launch. We can add an F1 shortcut to open "Getting Started" manually. (EDIT: looks like we already had an F1 shortcut for exactly that once for debugging purposes, but the feature got lost during refactoring and nobody ever noticed; fixed with FileBot r9597)

:?: That said, if you do (1) Press Windows key (2) type "filebot some question", does Windows not suggest to search online? A Google search seems more efficient to me, because the documentation is vast, so a link to just www.filebot.net would not be very helpful for any one specific question.

:idea: FileBot does link to the https://www.filebot.net/naming.html docs, https://www.filebot.net/help/presets.html docs, etc from the corresponding windows and dialogs within the FileBot Desktop application.

FileBot r9597 adds a TVDB / TMDB / etc button to open the series / movie page for the selected match object to the (press F6 to activate) Inspect panel.

That said, the new button above seems cumbersome for the use case at hand:
(A) write previous file names to a text file
(B) write TVDB link to a text file

The Outlaws (2021) [S02 BBC1 720p iP WEBRip]\_dirlst_220818-1201.txt <-- History
The Outlaws (2021) [S02 BBC1 720p iP WEBRip]\The Outlaws - TheTVDB.com.URL <-- Link
(A) is solved twice over by the rename history and xattr metadata
(B) is solved by the Export URL files post-processing feature

:idea: If you want to stick to your very specific <season>/_dirlst_220818-1201.txt and <season>/The Outlaws - TheTVDB.com.URL implementation details, then you can generate those files instantly based on xattr metadata with a custom script. That's a topic for another thread though, but shouldn't be more than 1-3 lines of easy-to-understand code if you're not too averse to scripting.

The Fetch artwork / Export NFO files / etc post-processing actions work best if you have a standard <series folder>/<season folder>/<episode file> file structure, i.e. the file structure generated by the {plex} format. If your file structure differs vastly from that, then FileBot may not work well, depending on the specific file paths at hand.

JustaUser2 wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 01:35 When i tried the 'Export NFO files' the program just seemed to go into a loop, never finishing.
I was not able to reproduce this problem. All my test cases work pass. The Export NFO files doesn't really go into any loops, so my best guess would a network delay / error / retry loop but that would also eventually fail, and print lots of errors to the log along the way.

:arrow: If something doesn't work, please check the log for errors and create a new thread for that specific problem or issue.

Unfortunately, copy & pasting from tooltips is not supported. The Export NFO files post-processing action will export all the information into *.nfo files though, so that would be the way to go if you want to keep off-line series information in an external text file.

:idea: The filebot command-line tool includes scripts to generate Movie / Series / Episode NFO files. However, the Desktop application does not have an equivalent for that.

JustaUser2 wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 01:35 And I can't figure out how to post or insert images
Use the PrtSc (print screen) keyboard key to take a screenshot, and then go to https://snipboard.io/ and press CTRL+V to paste the screenshot. From there, follow the take a screenshot instructions. Please let us know if any one specific step is giving you trouble.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.