Filebot not longer allowing to select files

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
gothicknight

Filebot not longer allowing to select files

Post by gothicknight »

I have been using Filebot for quite some time and tonight, after renaming a TV Season, Filebot no longer works at all.

I launch Filebot (version 4.9.6), i click on Load, select file and nothing at all happens. No folders open in file explorer to select files. Filebot just died.

I have tried uninstalling\reinstalling Filebot, but there must be files hanging around after uninstalling as when i reinstall Filebot, all my presets are still there and i am not prompted to register and i still cannot select individual files.

Anyone have any ideas? I am running the latest version of Win 10
rednoah
The Source

Re: Filebot not longer allowing to select files

Post by rednoah »

:?: What does the log say? If we check the log, then the error message might allow us to identify what exactly is not working and how to make it work again.

:idea: Please read How to Request Help.

:idea: FileBot stores settings to registry and application data folder. You can call filebot -clear-prefs to delete all user preferences.

:idea: Note that you can always use drag-n-drop and will often find it more efficient especially if you already have a File Explorer window open.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
strangebyrd

Post by strangebyrd »

I had the exact same problem. Check to see if there is a directory or file with an extremely long name. I checked the error log and found the problem. I truncated the directory name and all works now.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

strangebyrd wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 04:45 I checked the error log and found the problem.
Please copy & paste the error here so we and others can see what you can see.
CyberOcelot

Post by CyberOcelot »

rednoah wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 04:53
strangebyrd wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 04:45 I checked the error log and found the problem.
Please copy & paste the error here so we and others can see what you can see.
I had the same issue and Google lead me here. I wanted to share the logs with you, but unfortunately, it would also show everyone what I'm renaming and, in my case, that's data I would like to keep private (and the log wouldn't be helpful without it.

I can confirm the following resolved my issue...
strangebyrd wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 04:45 I had the exact same problem. Check to see if there is a directory or file with an extremely long name. I checked the error log and found the problem. I truncated the directory name and all works now.
Details for you to recreate the issue on your end:
I had a file that was buried in an extremely long file path that I attempted to rename. I don;t recall if I was successful in renaming the file or not. But, the log shows that ever since initially attempting to rename that file, every time I hit the "Select Files" button, it would say "bad path name" as if trying to rename that file instead of showing me the contents of the folder.

I simply deleted the folder that hosted that long file path, and FIleBot is back to working as it should.

Hope this helped.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

CyberOcelot wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 02:47 I had the same issue and Google lead me here. I wanted to share the logs with you, but unfortunately, it would also show everyone what I'm renaming and, in my case, that's data I would like to keep private (and the log wouldn't be helpful without it.
:?: You could come up with a file path the reproduces the problem. File path length problematic? Specific character problematic? Inaccessible network drive problematic? Does extremely long mean 256+ or 4096+ or more per file path or file name / folder name?

:?: The error message itself, even with file paths stripped away, would certainly be useful and may give us some hints as to where exactly the issue originates from. FileBot issue? Windows Shell API issue? Windows File API issue? Filesystem issue? I can't find an exact match for "bad path name" in the FileBot code, so that might suggest a Windows issue.

EDIT:

:?: Can you reproduce the problem with the latest revision?
viewtopic.php?t=13578
CyberOcelot

Post by CyberOcelot »

rednoah wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 07:01
CyberOcelot wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 02:47 I had the same issue and Google lead me here. I wanted to share the logs with you, but unfortunately, it would also show everyone what I'm renaming and, in my case, that's data I would like to keep private (and the log wouldn't be helpful without it.
:?: You could come up with a file path the reproduces the problem. File path length problematic? Specific character problematic? Inaccessible network drive problematic? Does extremely long mean 256+ or 4096+ or more per file path or file name / folder name?

:?: The error message itself, even with file paths stripped away, would certainly be useful and may give us some hints as to where exactly the issue originates from. FileBot issue? Windows Shell API issue? Windows File API issue? Filesystem issue? I can't find an exact match for "bad path name" in the FileBot code, so that might suggest a Windows issue.

EDIT:

:?: Can you reproduce the problem with the latest revision?
viewtopic.php?t=13578
I'm pressed for time at the moment. I have not yet updated. But, the Windows character limit is what triggers the issue. If you create a file path that is long eough on your end, and attempt to rename the file at the end of that path, all following times you click "select files", nothing will happen, and the error log will produce the same error.

Here was WIndows defines as a file path that is too long...

https://it.cornell.edu/shared-file/wind ... hs%2Ffiles.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I cannot reproduce the issue with the current Windows 11 release. I'm seeing some 8.3 short name weirdness but can't reproduce issues with the file dialog crashing or not being able to remember the previously selected folder. No warnings or errors in the log either.

e.g. Test File Path with 750+ chars generated via Plain File Mode:

Code: Select all

{folder}/{ 'X' * 250 }/{ 'Y' * 250 }/{ 'Z' * 250 }/{fn}

Code: Select all

C:\Users\rednoah\Videos\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY\ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ\Alias.1x01.mkv